Register To Comment
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hatchet 2

I couldn't be bothered to trawl back through to find the original thread for hatchet so here's a brand new spiffy one for you. Decided i may as well build a new hatchet and at least try and get it to the champs this year if it gets picked, with that in mind i've taken a good month or so of design time trying to keep what was good and discard the rest. The only real thing that i've kept the same is the axe and scoop set up, the shape is roughly the same with a few improvements (nicer looking bulkheads, better weight distribution/wheel placement and a slightly bigger chassis). the new body is now 20mm thick Hdpe with a 10mm base seeing as i got a really good deal on some offcuts that i just couldn't say no to. I don't want to overload you all with information at this point so here's a couple of teaser pics to make the reading worthwhile.
    and yes.......it's white now... big whoop you want a fight about it?

Cut all of the panels out for the new Hatchet this morning, i still have to do the baseplate but i've had enough of getting covered in swarf for today. I quite like it in white although i'm not sure i'll keep the pointy bits at the top of the bulkheads.

Cheers David, it's not chopping boards it's proper hdpe from direct plastics. Chopping boards tend to be ldpe which shatters when it gets impacted.

Cut out the baseplate for Hatchet today, by hand...which sucked, it's 10mm Hdpe this year instead of the 10mm Polycarb which, well let's say it didn't work and leave it at that shall we? (Mr mangle come at me bro). If you noticed the gaping ground cleance around the sides and front it's supposed to be like that..honest, the front part will be covered by the scoop and around the sides i'm hoping that if one side gets lifted up the wheel stays on the ground, that's the plan anyway. Also ditching the chain and sprockets for T10 timing pulleys and belts, the theory being that the belts are stronger and less stretchy/likely to jump off, i'm hoping by using such a large tooth pitch that there isn't a whole lot of slip.

Ah okay lol wasn't sure, cheers too, it's certainly not the most advanced robot around but it should be a massive improvement on last years Hatchet. I like to think I've ironed out most of the flaws and should end up with a machine that is at least slightly competitive.

What are the full specs of the axe? Length, head weight, motor, ratio etc?

Would be interesting to see what it's like in comparison to others

Alex still has the original but from memory the axe was around 400mm and weighed around 1.5kg, the head is 6mm Hardox 450. As for the power specs it's going to be run by a 300w scooter motor at 6s on a 3.3:1 reduction. Last year it was a 3.5:1 reduction on 16.8v NIMH so it should pack a much bigger punch this time around.
    Last edited by mrsam; 8th January 2015 at 23:17.

Register To Comment