Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feather weight spinner questions

To be honest, you will struggle to get useful recommendations as there are so many to choose from and relatively few have been used by roboteers.

I've solely used the scorpion motors with great success but advice that I would pass on would be, support both sides of the motor pulley shaft. The shafts and casings are not meant for the forces they will see in a combat robot and i have snapped shafts and bent casings on motors.

For such a light disc you will get away easily with either an outrunner or inrunner. Outrunner generally has greater torque, inrunner greater speed. Depends what is needed in your design. I'd recommend increasing your disc size and weight but that's up to you.

Which ever motor you go for, run it at it's highest possible voltage. The difference in current draw of my big scopion when running on 10s vs 6s is dramatic (9A vs over 100A) based on black box recordings I have from the esc I used. This makes a huge difference to the stress put on your esc, wiring and batteries and will allow the machine to run for longer comfortably.

If you can't "ruggedize" the motors, the best bet is to use one you can replace most easy.

Otherwise, it's budget and creativity.

As written by others, each to his own.
    I prefer the NTM range of motors. Affordable and easy to adapt/rebuild.

It seems the motor is ment for 4S, and that gives a motor RPM of 35520.

I would go for a 4 to 1 ratio.

Hobby King has been broken for several days on the UK server end. I've been trying to order some receivers but I can't 'add to basket'.

Given how light it is, I would say go for a 3:1 ratio and just live with a slightly longer spin up time. Your weapon won't have much punch otherwise given how light it is.

you haven't seen how fast a brushless will spin up a disc. Ignore previous experience with brushed motors and their wattages. Make the disc 2kg and you will still be amazed at how quick it spins up.

I run a 1.7kg drum on this motor: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html on a 5s LiPo and 3.2:1 reduction.

On a hard start it very briefly pulls about 2.5kw and sends the drum to 9000rpm (from 0) in 1.25 seconds.

exactly, do you really want to have Ellis saying that his is bigger than yours?!

Register To Comment