Register To Comment
Page 32 of 41 FirstFirst ... 223031323334 ... LastLast

Thread: FRA FW 2015 World Championships - Hosted by Robo Challenge

A history of delivering the goods when it counts is a serious advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by ady View Post
    Im not new im old lol. Last serious comp was rr 2007 championship and finished 3rd but that was old skool days lol. had spinners since which went on to do alrite after i sold em haha. Hard for him to run as only robochallenge has a full combat arena. Ive told him we will make a youtube vid with build pics and smashing up sum old chassis's i have, post a link here and try for the next one. It was his school project but ive got enough parts still about to knock something together for fun
    When i said getting a history i meant for the robot your entering - though that said a team history does go half and half with that so its likely youd have a good application so long as you could really brag about the things you done in the past, then brag abit about the robot design you have currently

In my application i talked abit about Dystopia for example (Defector does have a strong application in itself though) - but it does help you stand out in the same way you would for a job interview i guess

The qualifying format as mentioned had 2 objectives.

1- Gain a number of entries from countries outside the UK.
    2- Ensure we had the best 51 combat machines possible fighting for the World Championship

To do this we asked for peoples country as this would satisfy objective no.1. To fulfill the second objective we asked teams for their previous history at high profile championships including any achievements/awards. Understanding that newcomers may be more competitive or have great potential we asked for those building new robots or new teams to explain the robot they were building so we could make a decision on the final few spaces. Most robots naturally were going to gain a place because of their position in the UK championships such as Defector. It could be a poor robot or look boring but it would gain a place because its been a proven competitive machine (just an example, not saying its either of those). Diversity wasnt a deciding factor, we simply wanted the most competitive World Championships possible.

I feel both objectives have been successful. No.1 because we have more competitors attending from overseas than ever which is fantastic. No.2 is proven because nobody has an easy draw So we know the standard of robots people have created is amazing and I certainly cant wait to see who will be the worthy World Champion!

So looking at the draw how many points do you think your robot will score and how many will the cut off point be? My feel with Predator is I need to get 1 knockout and 3 second places would get me to 10 points but im not sure if thats enough?
    Last edited by james...venom; 16th March 2015 at 14:05.

10 points seems to be the tipping point for potential qualification in past years, with 12+ guaranteeing a place.

I predict DCH scoring 17 points (1 extra for being so awesome by Judges decision)

I reckon a win by KO and averaging second across the rest will be fine. I'm hoping for as many wins by KO as possible (naturally) but I'm really just making it my personal goal to get to round 2 last year, since I came one point off qualifying last year. Definitely got more of a shot of it now I can drive better and have an active weapon, but the standard of machines is sky-high this year from the looks of it so it'll be tough...

The mathematics for points says that 11 will give a guaranteed place in round 2, 10 points will get you into the tie breaker for the last few places.

That's what it was last year, it depends on a few factors though I suppose. If, let's say, 4 robots won all 4 of their matches by knockout, there'd be a bunch of high scorers at the top end and on balance there'd be fewer points distributed out to the rest of the machines so I'd imagine the cutoff point might drop. Ditto if everyone got roughly a similar number of points or if there were a number of retirements. No idea how mathematically possible that would be however, but I'd imagine between 9 and 12 is probably a safe bet for the cutoff point.

Maths isn't my strong point though so I'm just going to drive into everything drum-first and hope for the best!

Register To Comment