Register To Comment
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Shakesc : Build Diary

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Robots
    Spur 4 (FW), Titus (HW) , Team Nuts
    So I realised that I have various build threads and I've reused some for multiple robots so confusing myself :S
    After Gloucester I realised that a few things need to get done

1) Spur II - it eats Gimsons for breakfast. I'm not a sympathetic driver so need to update the drive chain especially as Gimson are looking as rare as Speed 900's. The weapon is a bit limited and combine that with its weight needs a rethink

2) Otis - its drive is Speed 900's , see note on Gimsons.... I have been toying with brushless for a while and following the various threads. I bought some Alien Power motors (I have a habit of buying things that are 'intersting')

http://alienpowersystem.com/shop/42m...r-300kv-1500w/

In testing the lifter for Gloucester it managed to rip itself apart. So this is going to take more weight to sort it out so will need to save some

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Robots
    So Otis is a bit packaged inside (fresh air is a waste inside!)

I built some spacers so that I can fit an Alien Power in place of the Speed 900's

These are sensored motors on a single stage reduction so will be interested if they suffer cogging. Need to sort out a good ESC for these

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Rory Mangles
    Robots
    Nuts, Big Bully, Richie, and too many insect class bots
    I'll be very interested to see how 4 horsepower of brushless motors mixes with a featherweight... :P

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Robots
    I agree. They are dinky motors with a high advertised output. Its not as though Speed 900's can't put out decent power

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Rory Mangles
    Robots
    These are almost twice the power of S900s if the ratings are to be believed (which, being brushless, I'm inclined to), so you may have a little more 'fun' with it :L If it works out though, I'll be very interested in it as it is quite a bit cheaper than equivalent brushed motors..

Status
    Name
    Nick Martin
    Robots
    Mr Mangle - Australian 2015 Featherweight Champion 2016 UK Gladiator Shiny Scissorhands Decimator
    The 1,500 watt rating is probably the short-term peak output but the motors are likely going to spin the wheels long before they hit that level of power. What gear ratio do you have - when I was testing the AP motors, I had 7.8:1 and the cogging wasn't too bad.

Z12 on the motor, Z72 on the wheel. 6-1

If this setup works, I have lasercut adaptorplates with mounting holes for several sizes of motors.

Roboteer

Status
    Name
    Rory Mangles
    Robots
    Running the numbers through with that motor, gear train, and what looks like ~80mm wheels (at 24v.. I'm not sure what it actually is) gives it a theoretical maximum of ~10mph with ~30kg of pushing power if grip was ideal.... aka, more than enough torque and speed :P

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Robots
    Ordered my sensored ESC (only have unsensored at present)

Maddox - if this works I may well take you up on those laser cut items

Status
    Name
    Chris
    Robots
    Well some more brushless testing. Using the HobbyKing™ 120A Sensored/Sensorless Car ESC (1:8/1:5)
    Its ok and have a programming card now for it. It certainly wants the pause time between forward and reverse. Some other ESC are much better at this. So might look at these later.

The motor and ESC combo is about 200g lighter than the Speed 900 so thats a handy saving. Working on reassembling now

Register To Comment