Register To Comment
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RoboGames Kickstarter

No, he means they'd struggle against the Brazilian and US lightweights, and I can easily believe that. Even if two UK feathers went as a cluster, they'd still be taking on a bot twice their individual weight.

Not putting any of the UK bots down; they would be up against very powerful spinners weighing TWICE as much as the smallest class is lightweight and your bots would have to compete as cluster bots. Also the US arena really doesn't favour flippers. On the other hand, there are not many good featherweights left in the US as there are so few events for them - Motorama is possibly the only regular featherweight event left.

Quote Originally Posted by overkill View Post
    Not putting any of the UK bots down; they would be up against very powerful spinners weighing TWICE as much as the smallest class is lightweight and your bots would have to compete as cluster bots. Also the US arena really doesn't favour flippers. On the other hand, there are not many good featherweights left in the US as there are so few events for them - Motorama is possibly the only regular featherweight event left.
    Ahhh, that makes more sense!

It is a bit worrying that the US is dropping feathers, its preventing most of the UK from going over and competing/supporting their events and visa-versa. Europe and AUS seem to be the only ones running them in earnest.

I am not sure why they are happy to run machines that are double the weight or half the weight but not 30lbs! Why has it been abandoned as a class?

There are several reasons that I heard over the years: For RoboGames, Dave decided that A) small bots in a huge arena were not exciting enough (the insect weight bots have their own small arena), B) there were scheduling problems and C) he didn't have the extra staff or funds to run that many classes in the main arena. I don't agree with any of that but its Dave's show.

For the other events, the main problem is a lack of a large enough arena. I don't know who owns the arena at Motorama and the other featherweight event is the USATL in Florida which uses the RoboGames arena and may not run each year. It would be great if the Motorama arena was used for other events but it doesn't seem to be happening

Yeah, that all makes sense.

Problem with us going over there is that if we can't use feathers then it would be Lightweights.. but we can't fight them over here, so it would be pretty pointless to build one. Oh well. Maybe in the future.

Have you seen any new info on US forums? The Robogames web site has a few updates but most info is still about the 2013 event.

Register To Comment