Register To Comment

Thread: hello

so does anyone wish to sell any bots to me?

I feel you fail to grasp to notion that we 'build' our machines.
    Every component we use (electronics, motors and controlls) is reuseable in our next machine.
    Complete machines won't get offered often because of this and if they do they are gone quite fast, just for the components in them.

If you are truly serious, which I'm starting to doubt, about buying a machine. I'd recommend talking to Maddox.
    He has build parts for a large number of the people around here and has experience in most types of machines.

But don't waste his time and don't expect it to be cheap.

Also.... this question could have been posted in your earlier topic.

Basically as above.

I'd also recommend learning how to build one in theory too, even if you don't actually end up building it yourself. If you're wanting to enter it in combat, something will get broken - it's just part of the hobby. If you can't fix it, you've got an expensive paperweight. Also in agreement with Niels in that you could have a chat with Maddox, he built HardWired 2 and that's held up excellently in combat so far. Only things that went wrong were the things I mucked up on my end...

If you want a basic 'starter kit' for a build, I'd invest in:
    2x Botbitz TZ85A speed controllers
    1x Orange RX R620 receiver (or equivalent)
    Spektrum transmitter (again, or equivalent, I have a DX5e)
    Pair of cordless drills/see if anyone's selling a set of GR01/2 gearmotors
    12v battery, I would say 3S LiPo but I'd probably advise newcomers against jumping straight into LiPo batteries because there's extra rules and regs on them all (and safety precautions). Probably a 12v NiMh or something would do the trick.

Add wheels and a chassis, you're good to go - wheels can be found on various places, or done yourself (Ellis - https://www.youtube.com/user/TeamExpat/ - has some great tutorials on this, as well as https://www.youtube.com/user/RobowarsNSW) and a chassis can be constructed out of wood, or HDPE with very basic tools.

I'd suggest looking at the build diaries in any case, so you can get an idea about how all of these work. Whether or not you end up having a machine built for you or you do it yourself, I'd say the knowledge of how they work even at a basic level is pretty vital.
    Last edited by Flag Captured; 9th October 2014 at 19:51.

I will repeat what I have said to others, I won't sell a machine (if I had one for sale) to anyone who is not capable of maintaining it safely. I know many other people will say the same.

My advice is get along to an event have a chat to the featherweight guys, get some advice and have a go yourself. Most of us started with no or very basic knowledge and learned how to build.

What kind of skills do you have? Can you do basic soldering and follow a simple diagram? If so you only really need a robot chassis which you may stand more chance of getting. Most roboteers will be able to knock up a simple hdpe chassis, you could then buy the electronic components and put them together and fit them to the robot.
    At least that way you would have an understanding of the electronic part of the machine which is the part that most often goes wrong.

Register To Comment