Register To Comment
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should i see if i can survive the champs?

And if you can get the chance beforehand, challenge a big spinner .
    That would give you the best idea of what your machine can take and what is likely to break down during the champs.

I know spinners only fight during the champs in the UK but here in Holland/Belgium/Germany nearly every event has it's spinners. Perhaps not all as powerfull as the british ones but they make for great practise.

Thinking about it, events are hard to come by here on the mainland at the moment.

The only reason for building a fighting robot, is to fight it! Having the worry that you might take it home in a bag only increases the fun.

If you like an adreneline rush and you like engineering then the champs are perfect for you. That's my excuse anyway!

I'd go for it - it's a lot of fun, regardless of whether you win or not. Maybe it's a pessimistic view, but the probability of an outright win on your first event with your first machine isn't massively likely so why not go, crash test your designs in the best way possible and improve it for next year? That's what I've done with HardWired! It's amazing how much I've learned from just the one event, it's taught me so many of the basics that I just didn't think about whilst doing all the theory. It's also taught me that if I want to go weaponless, I need to be able to drive better, a fact that may or may not be related to my new one having a big spinny thing on the front.

I'm not completely sure whether it's possible to do well just through surviving, technically speaking you needed one win by KO and 3 2nd places (for a total of 10 points) to qualify this year so simply surviving on a judges/for second wouldn't be enough all the time, but on saying that I managed to fluke a victory against Binky and Ironside and a second place after KillerJoule pulled some tricks and got itself out of the arena so... maybe you could with some luck? Survivability is certainly key though, assume you have the maximum possible fights (4x qualifier, playoff, r2, r2 losers, r3, r3 losers, r4, r4 losers, semi-final, grand final) that's something like 13 fights I think you'll have to be in, which is a fair old number...

Register To Comment