Register To Comment

Thread: Question about motors and gearboxes

Okay, firstly I have Never built a robot before. I have a decent understanding of physics but the two things I am unsure about are the motors.

1. Do you need a gearbox to be able to work (propel a robot sufficiently)?
    2. Are cordless drill motors brushed or brushless?

By the way I know the difference between brushed and brushless so i don't need an explanation of that; but a way to determine either from the drill or the actual motor itself.

Thank you very much for any help.
    Vertik.

Unless you have a very strange electric motor, you'll need a gearbox to get any decent torque and useable speed. Like George Francis said during the tech check of Project One "It's an arena, not a runway".

Batterydrills. Some of the latest models have brushless motors, Milwaukie has a series of those. But most are 540 sized brushed motors.

To identify the type of motor, brushed motors have two leads and brushless motors always have three leads. If a drill has a brushless motor, it will be mentioned as its a big selling point. At the moment, only up-market drills have brushless motors and they are much more expensive.

I wouldn't bother going second hand with drills, i made that mistake and had all 3 pins on the carrier plate shear at once, the life of these things is very short when used in the way that we do and buying second hand when a brand new once from Argos is only around £15 seems a bit pointless.

Register To Comment