Register To Comment
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wraith, the El Cheapo spinner

Hi all,

As many of you probably already know I've been planning this for a couple of months and have now decided to stop procrastinating, pull my finger out and get it started.

Wraith is basically going to be a pretty low tech, old school brushed spinner that I can use for Whiteboards and demo's. The idea is to show people that you can still build an effective spinner on a budget, whilst it won't be all that damaging it should throw things around quite nicely.

So without further boring you with words, here's a picture of the main spinner set up, at least the pile of bits that will become the spinner set up, (Haribo's not a robot part).

That's a Johnson 850 motor on a 2.5 : 1 reduction via angle grinder gears wired to a relay and microswitch (still waiting on a servo), a 25mm shaft with needle rollers and a t5 timing pulley (64 tooth I think), a 2kg, 6mm thick steel disc and 2 blocks of 20mm hdpe (250 x 250mm).

Building shall commence soon so look forward to many updates.
    Last edited by mrsam; 4th August 2014 at 12:00.

Just took delivery of a few more bits, among them was this huge 25mm drill bit for drilling out the disc centre

compensating for something?

Yes, my lack of a 25mm drill bit

In keeping with the El Cheapo theme I've taken delivery of this huge chunk of steel for the disc teeth, cost me all of a fiver. It's 8mm thick and 65mm wide, you can see where it will be cut to make the teeth, each one will be 75mm long but only the last 15mm or so will stick out, all bolted together with 4 high tensile 12.9 m8 bolts for each tooth.

I usually use m6 bolts for my stuff but seeing as the teeth are around 400 - 500g each I've gone thicker and 12.9 grade.

Don't use a servo to trigger the microswitch, if the servo fails or jams, you cannot turn your weapon off (VERY DANGEROUS).
    Use a battle switch or a modified ESC to trigger the relay, it's the only safe way.

I would just use an ESC! Conker 1 and Conker 2 both got their solid state relays jammed on at GSL 2012 and 2013. Despite both being capable of 30V & 100A and 50V & 80A respectively both failed repeatedly.

I'll consider putting an esc on it if the relay proves unreliable, might just buy one anyway just in case. For now a little update, turns out the "8mm " steel for the teeth is actually 11mm, it's not a problem but it has pushed the weight of the disc to almost 3kg as each tooth is like 400g, should have a fair amount of whack in it.

Register To Comment