Register To Comment
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Wraith, the El Cheapo spinner

Spent a while trying to figure out where to mount the weapon motor that didn't involve cutting a huge chunk out of a bulkhead, turns out the gap between the two bulkheads is exactly the right size and with a bit of an adjustment to the shape of the back of the machine to protect the motor it should go in perfectly. The wiring for the relay/esc will need to be changed so I can move it to the side and I need to make some spacers to go in between the bar but other than that no problems, couple of pics for those interested.

I think you guys have waited long enough now..... spent today drilling and bolting the teeth to the bar and i can safely say you're all Fecked But seriously should give quite a whack and it looks awesome i think. Pictures for yourselves....Going to bolt the frame pieces together in a bit and get it bolted to the base, also going to mount the motor,then i think a quick video might be on the cards.

*Edit* Forgot to mention that i need to cut the bolts down that are holding the teeth on so no they won't be getting left like that.
    Last edited by mrsam; 20th August 2014 at 12:24.

But even if you cut the bolts right down to the nuts then it will still cut through your timing belt won't it? You need a spacer the width of a nut between the bar and the pulley or need to counterbore the bar for the nuts.
    Other than that looks like it will dish out some serious punishment!

Drill and tap the bar

Sorry i should have said, there will be a spacer between the bar and pulley. Thanks as well, hopefully it will be okay though i'm still undecided about whether i'm going to enter it into the main champs next year.

Little update time, decided that i'm not entirely happy with the spinner bulkheads so i'm going to redo them. The bar isn't low enough and they were cut in a hurry so they are a bit messy, ordering up some more 20mm hdpe now so it should be here by Friday and i can crack on.

Little video, just explaining the bulkhead problem in a little more detail and also the what's going to happen with the rest of the build. http://vid921.photobucket.com/albums...ps77b6e745.mp4

And so it begins. .......again

If you are not happy with the surface finish on the edges, you can make them mirror-smooth using a wood plane. As long as the blade is sharp and the cut is shallow, PE plastic behaves just like wood. I use a 'low angle block plane" like this:

They are usually available in hardware stores and are about the cheapest type of plane.

Register To Comment