Register To Comment
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: The Pulse of Awakening (RPG)

[okay here's an update, now leave me alone you punked-out weirdos! :V]

--------
    --------

GUNROD

There's no response to his call, so he just pays attention to the cookies. They don't seem harmful in any possible way, no matter what he does. Eventually he does eat them. They seem to be the best cookies he's ever tasted, and coming from a people who pride themselves upon crafting the finest desserts, that is saying something.

Without warning a loud voice calls out of nowhere:

"So! You have passed the first test... thank goodness. But you still have a long way to go."

The door is suddenly blown off. Gunrod leaps aside with a cry as smoke fills the area, but when it clears, there's nothing there... except a horribly mangled door behind the dwarf. Onward leads into total darkness. Gunrod has hardly any idea what to make of this...

--------
    --------

UNAROSHI

"Excellent," comes the immediate reply. "Then let us go. I'll lead the way.

"My name is Viluy, in case you were wondering," the woman adds, as they run down the pathway, now illuminates by the nanobots. "The machines call me Byruit for some reason; that is how they know their enemy. Call me by my proper name and things will go well."

"Yeah okay," replies Unaroshi, though he still wonders what Viluy's deal is.

Eventually they come to another hallway. Both ways lead into total darkness, but on their immediate right is another door. The teen looks over at Viluy, whose face hasn't changed expression in the slightest. What is her problem? Unaroshi wonders.

"Danger is approaching, says Viluy. "It's coming from the stairs."

"What stairs?"

"The ones through that door." She indicates them.

"Well, which way do we go?" growls Unaroshi, beginning to get seriously annoyed now.

"I had hoped the stairs were unoccupied," says Viluy, unfazed, "but I see that is now impossible. And I do not know the entirety of this complex. " She looks at the other. "Gamble."

"Huh?"

"Left, or right? Choose."

Wow. She was letting him decide. How fun...

--------
    --------

SAKER

Pushing the button on the strange object, Saker tenses, expecting something bizarre to happen. Well, something happens, but not what Saker thought. A digital map of the entire (and I do mean ENTIRE) base appears. There are 257 levels, called Vectors, according to a bit of info at the bottom-right corner of the map. Saker stares at the info. It's the year 2542, and they're in a base called The Meridian A.D.

Saker wonders for a moment what to do next.

--------
    --------

REST OF PARTY

Suddenly, the party and the two machines vanish instantly...

...to appear in a very well lit room. It's HUGE... (think LotR; the great city of Dwarrowdelf, for size comparisons, but without all those pillars in the way) There are at least tens of thousands of other androids here, all standing inert and motionless to their left, while many, many others are occupied with digital screens, switches, and countless other things. A massive door can be far down to their right. The ceiling appears smooth... for now.

Shepard simply gapes, while Maxine scoffs at it. Mira however is occupied with its own state of peril, as the Illuxion fades in and out rapidly.

Most of them turn and aim their weaponry at the party, but Avarice commands them to stand down. Now they can see Avarice very clearly; he indeed seems to be an exact mantis/shark hybrid, although entirely mechanical of course. The glowing orange pods all over his body now fade, as do the blue ones on his T-900 companion.

"We have a leader, of course," grunts the mantis hybrid. "But if you are indeed in a pitiable state, perhaps we should remedy that."

He emits a high-pitched (and very terrible) cry. A number of lesser androids turn and walk over in a "U" formation, surrounding Mira.

"They are going to Vector C, where the regeneration chambers are," replies the hulking behemoth, in response to Shepard's concerned face. "There are other... methods there as well. They shall return shortly."

Without warning the floor gives way underneath Mira and they disappear beneath the ground. The trapdoor is covered almost immediately. Man, these guys are efficient... Shepard considers. He's not liking the situation much. Almost all the party is now scattered.

"So. You two," comes Avarice's voice again into their ears. "Now that that's taken care of... it's time to hunt for the intruder. She is on Vector N."

"I see," replies Shepard, finally deigning to talk. "Do you know what her name is?"

"We scanned her, and the name that appeared was Byruit," answers Avarice mysteriously. "However, that information is immaterial. What truly matters is apprehending this individual and enacting punishment for her actions.

"I myself will accompany you, and you shall see my power first-hand," drones the machine. "Of course, if you wish to wait for your comrade to be rejuvenated, that will hardly take too long."

Shepard's eyebrows contract. Hmm...

--------
    --------
    Last edited by kodster; 22nd October 2014 at 18:10. Reason: more information

Mira glanced unsurely around her at the androids surrounding her, before the floor suddenly opened up, and she dropped herself down to Vector C, staggering forward a little when she landed. With how brightly the room had been lit compared to the cell she'd woken up in, she did feel a little better, but she was still flickering away to herself, with no sign of letting up.

Still, she had been promised regeneration. Or the so-called "other methods". She didn't like the sound of that. Hopefully they'd get to the regen chambers sooner rather than later.

Shepard turned back to the place in the floor Mira had disappeared into. No, he didn't care much for the way things were going at all. It felt too much like these synthetics were purposefully splitting them up at every opportunity. And then there was the fact that this particular synthetic, Avarice, planned on accompanying the search for this lost person. What did Avarice need his help for? Not to mention that it seemed this individual was in line for a summary execution. Could it really be that serious of a situation? Turning back to face the intimidating looking synthetic resolved to at least wait until Mira returned."If the process is as quick as you say then I'd prefer to wait until our companion returns rejuvenated. I hope you'll excuse me not being to quick to give my blind trust. My previous experiences with synthetics haven't been pleasant to say the least, and I'll feel better knowing exactly where everyone is and that they're okay."

Saker decides to thoroughly inspect the schematics, trying to memorise as much as possible, specifically in regards to exists and potential threats, or indeed, general purposes of this place.

Gunrod moves through the door while singing very loudly.

Singing 9 to 5 by Dolly Parton in fact.

--------
    --------

GUNROD

The dwarf's loud voice carries through the darkness. Now, if there were anyone in the accursed darkness who could have heard Gunrod's voice, they would admire it. For Gunrod's people were gifted vocalists as well! Even the particular diatribe he was spouting seemed like a fountain of musical talent! However, no one heard him. He did not mind, nor did he expect an audience.

But the journey for Gunrod isn't so easy. Dwarves can see well enough in the dark, but not total dark, and it soon enshrouds him. Every so often there would be cracks in the floor, and some fissures that he would have to jump over. But he doesn't stop singing! Nothing can get this Dwarf down!

About an hour's journey of stumbling through the dark, he finally comes to a dead end. There is nothing indicating an entrance, or even a further passageway. Stamping on the ground gives no echo, so the ground is solid beneath him. Gunrod pauses to think.

--------
    --------

UNAROSHI

"Right, hm?" remarks Viluy. "Well, whether the choice is right is up in the air. Let's go."

They dash to the right and pull open the automated door. After some effort, they manage to close it again. The room is deserted, but there are several things in the room worth detail.

Before they can glance at these objects, however, there are heavy thuds and footfalls. Unaroshi looks at the woman, who puts a finger to her mouth in a "shh"-ing gesture. The nanobots stop glowing and the light is extinguished. In the total dark, they can hear metallic voices.

"The intruder Byruit is ours," hisses a high-pitching buzzing voice. "This level only has one exit. The human must be here somewhere. Search all the passages and rooms! Now! I shall investigate with this one..."

One set of footfalls get even heavier, but others fade away. Viluy tenses, ready to strike.

The door rattles a little, and then splits open again. And light pours in... from a horrible shape.

It resembles an anthropod, specifically a euryptid, but each of its legs end in spiked claws, and its tail splits off into 5. Its head is almost exactly that of a xenomorph, except it actually has eyes. This head is attached to a humanshaped upper-body that sprouts from the front of the anthropod, making it almost look like a mutant centaur. And of course, it only resembles these things since it is a machine, its metallic armour coating it, and its innards working away, calculating. The light that it gives off is lurid green and comes from several rings on the anthropod's mid to rear body.

"Come out, come out," hisses the voice again. It can't see them. But it's blocking the door completely, so there's no way out.

--------
    --------

SAKER

After rifling through the schematics some more, Saker manages to access some hidden information. She rifles with the image's controls for a while and then makes a startling discovery. She has just found the aims of whomever runs this place.

Mission Statement
    To eradicate the entire human race, and the Cosmic Collective and their home planet of Olandaar, and eventually conquer every corner of existence.

Checklist
    - Elimination of the star known as The Sun.
    - Eradication of 99.925% of humanity. Approximately 550,000 left to eliminate.

To Do
    - Promote Avarice to 1st-degree.
    - Locate and execute Byruit.
    - Resume ongoing interrogation of Arrivals.
    - Execute unwilling Arrivals.
    - Execute all slaves, post-eradication of humanity.
    - Locate the Collective planet of Olandaar.
    - Locate the Illuxion home planet to harness their energy.
    - Activate the remaining control rooms, and eradicate all threats.

Saker stares at this information. Without further ado she hastily tries to locate the other members of her group, and finds most of them within the main room, on Vector A. One is moving down to Vector C. Then she tries to find out where she is, and finds herself in Vector 9E, scores of levels down past Vector A. She is in an abandoned control room, and reading further, she learns it was taken by some deceased members of the Cosmic Collective. Deceased, because the machines had taken it back and killed them, very recently. But the machines, for some reason, avoid the place. Saker wonders why. Perhaps their spirits watch over this place...

With a clearer mind, Saker plans her next move.

--------
    --------

MIRA

The machines take Mira down to an empty room on Vector C. With the exception of two protruding panels from the ground and ceiling, it appears completely empty.

"Go between the Regeneration Modules," drones one of the robots.

With nervousness, the Illuxion obeys, and suddenly a beam goes between the two, striking Mira in-between. Mira yells out as this happens, but as s/he does, s/he starts to feel incredible energy pour into him/her.

"Hey... hey, this is... this is great!" exclaims the Illuxion. "So... how long will this take?"

Instead of answering Mira, though, the robots suddenly turn their backs on him/her and start to leave.

"HEY! What are you doing?!" the Illuxion shouts after them, but suddenly finds that s/he can't move. Mira is trapped in the beam of energy.

"We will return when you are fully energized. You are not ready yet," is the only answer Mira gets as the door shuts between them.

Well, this was bad. Trapped in an empty room, and further trapped between beads of light...

--------
    --------

SHEPARD AND MAXINE

There was a chorus of clicking at Shepard's words, as though several thousand Van-der-Graf models were clinking all at once. Shepard didn't like that at all, it was far too omnious for a situation like this.

"Very well," the looming figure of Avarice intoned. "It shall not take long, we assure you."

"Okay, and after we're done hunting down your little darling, what else do you want of us?!" snarls Maxine. Shepard facepalmed; this attitude was not going to help.

"That remains to be seen," huffed the T-900.

"You will, however, submit your overall purposes to us, since you have Arrived here," hisses Avarice. "Arrivals are trespassers, whatever their will, and we do not take kindly to their appearances without warning. Speak."

This was getting dangerous.

--------
    --------

You have decisions to make, folks.
    Last edited by kodster; 3rd January 2015 at 19:52. Reason: additional information

walk elsewhere until I find something that is not a dead end!

while singing James Brown's Sex Machine!

Register To Comment