Register To Comment
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Piecing together a budget heavy

Ram sorted out:

It'll need shortening to fit in the chassis but I have the machinery to do a good job of that. Just need to sort out the rest of the pneumatics. First up is finding the fire extinguishers. I need 2x ~115mm diameter tanks (either side of the bulkhead) and possibly 2 85mm tanks that fit in the back. Not sure what weight/volume the tanks are. And is there a standard screw top fitting to convert fire extinguishers if I get some? (Probably hunt ebay for some).

looks good

The clamps are to suit standard co2 tanks 117 dia. The small buffers I used were turned down 600g bottles.

Quick update:
    I'm busy building the robot and collecting the last of the parts. It's been moved to the workshop to have everything wedged into the chassis.

The bosch 750s have been made more robust but I'm not happy with one of the brush setups in one of the motors, if anyone has a brush board from a burnt out one and are willing to spare/sell it please let me know. The lathe came in handy to ensure the epoxy spread into all the gaps and stayed where it should!

I also bought a charger (along with lots of ant parts) from hobbyking to I can charge the 8 cell A123 packs.

Two lovely fire extinguishers were traded for, giving me my main and buffer tank. A PRV was also kindly supplied by Will.

I just need to get piping, a dump valve, a 3 way ball valve (for fire/vent), screw top tap for one extinguisher, adapter for the other, 3 way Y fitting (join main and buffer and supply the ram) and fittings to add the dump valve and PRV in.

The current plan is to get it rolling and visit some of the pneumatic shops in Reading in the hopes that a moving Robot Wars Heavy can entice a discount!

It should be fighting at colchester, while there's still a good deal of work left it is perfectly doable.

The drive for the robot has been finished off, awaiting it's proper esc, for now just on some TZ85's and a 6S lipo so it can trundle about.

And a quick test:

It looked better than trundling tough. There were heavies that drove less well. And not because the link failed.

I wasn't moving the stick all the way as it's a small garage and a heavy robot! The Tz's didn't heatup, out of curiosity I will be doing a stress test tomorrow when it's light outside so I can drive on the patio.

Those extinguishers needed emptying before they could be fitted...

I'm clearly doing something wrong. I have fun when building robots, but not this much fun

Register To Comment