Register To Comment

Thread: Matryoshka Championship idea

Hey Guys, been having an idea lately and i wondered what people thought of it, and wether its a good idea to pursue.

Ive seen Will make an Antweight, beetleweight, and Heavyweight version of Manta. Theres also an Antweight, featherweight, and heavyweight version of Beauty. And soon ill be getting Featherweight and antweight versions of Dystopia. The same situation exists for other robots such as Ripper, and Eruption.

So heres my idea for an event within an event. Using existing infrastructure such as the AWS, would people be interested in a Matryoshka Champs. This would be where a robots design exists in 3 weight classes (not necessarily owned by the same person), and the idea is these robots will fight together as a team against other similar designs.

Example:

Team Invade - Eruption, Explosion, Implosion
    vs
    Team G.A.R - Dystopia, Utopia, DystopiAnt

Here, its Eruption vs Dystopia, Explosion vs Utopia, and Implosion vs DystopiAnt.

As a trial,i believe there are two current ways this could be done (and possible simultaneously).

Ant-Feather-Heavy or Ant-Beetle-Feather.

This could possibly increase the popularity of the Beetle class, as many people already own Feather and Ant versions of the same design, and could also see the reintroduction of Feather sized Heavy designs (DTK, MiniMoth, so on) which may have been dormant for some time.

Just thought id post to see if theres any interest in the idea, before actually planning anything serious - so what you guys think?

What is the actual aim? Is this a separate championship where you are aiming to win all three weight classes? The number of fights involved would be crazy. I can see the idea of the same design in multiple classes being a way to expand the sport but I am not sure how you would go about making it worthwhile for both teams and spectators.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    What is the actual aim? Is this a separate championship where you are aiming to win all three weight classes?
    Best idea i thought for it would be a league type structure, where you get points based on placings within each weight categories positions. The most points earned between the weight classes would win.

Also in terms of fights, it would most likely be spread out over the year. And its more for the teams rather than the spectators. Ants could be done at AWS, and so on as a side competition, with each leg adding up to make an overall champion.

Each class could take a different form, with Ants being a 1v1 in a tree branch type comp. But feathers simply having one gladiator type fight. At the end you would have placings within each leg, which are added up to make an overall champion (like how F1 races work).

Example:

So if there was 10 entrants, points scored are the same as F1 as an example (1st -25, 2nd - 18, so on)

Ants done at AWS
    Beetles done at Whitwick
    Feathers done at NEC

If two robots come 2nd,3rd,6th and 1st,4th,2nd one scores 41, the other scores 55 so the 2nd robot wins.

Idea is not meant to be a serious championship, but abit of fun and something to encourage Beetle builders and also to encourage similar designs in multiple weight classes.

Quote Originally Posted by playzooki View Post
    An idea to make this more popular would get rid of the rule for the same designs. I think allowing teams of more than one team/person is a good idea.
    But then you could get all star teams with the best design in each class - which makes the competition unfair

Register To Comment