Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beetleweight weapon power

First up, I think this thread should have been posted in the beetleweight section.

Springs might work but are considered not all that effective overall.

The rules allow for walkers in any weight catagory. As long as it's a true walker (two seperately motions to move the legs that can be used independently from eachother) it can weigh up to twice the regular weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackpietrzak1 View Post
    I know beetleweight robot are abit bigger than antweight robots & would have abit more room to add or fit things in, so what want to know is:-
    1) as I found out that one team built a spring powered flipper for their antweight robots so could this spring powered flipper for the beetleweight robots?
    2) with weapon motors, what is the best electric motor for any electric powered axes, crushers, lifters, hammers & spinner etc?
    3) would there be walker robots?
    Watch your logic, yes the robots are bigger but they are heavier (10x heavier!) so you need to fit more powerful weapons, motors batteries and thicker armour. You don't just gain space.

Springs are obsolete in my opinion. By the time you have build a working mechanism and made it reliable you might as well have bought a big servo for the same cost, much less effort, greater reliability and much easier to fix/replace if it breaks.

Almost very weapon you have listed you need a different motor, there is no magic motor that does everything. Lifters are fairly slow but need high torque, axe's and hammers need more torque at around 2-3x the rpm of a lifter, crushers need to have lots of torque and then be geared down to get that slow powerful grip and finally spinners need very high torque and speed and then to be geared down so you can actually hit something. That is all VERY rough but each weapon needs a very different system to drive it.

Finally walker... since the beetles 1.5kg don't actually follow the FRA you would need to ask what counted as a walker and what was counted as a shuffler.

Basically... nothing is straight forward. Everything has to be balanced and tuned.

Lol good luck on the walker. Remember that the degrees of freedom have to be independent of each other on the leg and also independent of every other leg too. So technically a 4 legged walker will have 8 degrees of freedom, 6 - 12 DOF and so on. Fitting that in a beetle would be VERY tricky.

Alex: FYI, the limit has actually officially changed. 1.5kg is now the FRA (UK) limit for beetles now. I'm not sure if it's been changed on the rulesheet but it was confirmed at the AGM at Whitwick.

Legged Robots
    Legged Robots [Walkers]
    can weigh up to twice the specified weight in all classes. A walker must employ
    moveable legs to support its weight.
    Each leg must have at least 2 degrees of freedom.
    Robots with rolling or sliding mechanisms will not be classified as walkers.

The "walking rules" are above. With 3Kg weight you could possibly use Servos to move the legs (each with their 2 degrees of movement), but I doubt they could take the excitement, with out some sort of shock proofing.
    the issues are again speed and durability.
    but I would be very interested in anyone's efforts to achieve a fighting walking robot in any weight class to these rules.

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by razerdave View Post
    Alex: FYI, the limit has actually officially changed. 1.5kg is now the FRA (UK) limit for beetles now. I'm not sure if it's been changed on the rulesheet but it was confirmed at the AGM at Whitwick.
    Ah, got ya

Long story short, there really isn't a good way to make a flipper as fast and powerfull as a co2 one with electric motors.
    You can either gear it to get the same strength with less speed or to get the same speed but not a whole lot of strength.

Using bigger motors might do the trick but you'll be overweight in no time.

Perhaps someone knows about a brushless one that has the specs to come close to the speed/power ratio your looking for.

Brushless tend to not have the same torque unless you have a fancy closed feedback setup. About the only other way is to have a flywheel store the energy and then unleash it into a flipper. Only successful one I've seen is the one from the whyachi boys.

Register To Comment