Register To Comment

Thread: Ice Cubed Robotics

Hello everyone, GF93 here.

Not sure if this is the correct place to put them or not, but because I come from ARC, I have a few designs for robots that I'd like to showcase- as well as to potentially discuss new ideas and things. Most of the ones I have here have competed on ARC already (Hence the team name above- literally cold-blooded killers.) but someday, I do fully intend to build some of them and compete IRL, so any advice on doing so would be greatly appreciated.
    Unless otherwise mentioned, all my robots are CADed and/or illustrated by me.

To start out with, here's Dreadnought Mk2- the third in a line of similar machines and one of my personal favourite Heavyweight designs, currently competing in the FRR: No Mercy competition on ARC.

Named after the UK's first Nuclear Submarine and modelled on the second version of Cassius, it's a sleek and aerodynamic wedge design with angled plating and thick armour for resisting horizontal spinners, high speed and agility, and a powerful front-hinged Flipper that runs on Low Pressure CO² gas. Thoughts?

EDIT: More information on its design not elaborated on already can be found here.
    Last edited by GF93; 25th March 2014 at 05:18. Reason: Providing link to ARC Wiki.

Hey there, welcome to FRA. Just keep a note that you probably won't get too many replies. Not many threads do here anymore. =/

Quote Originally Posted by kodster View Post
    Hey there, welcome to FRA. Just keep a note that you probably won't get too many replies. Not many threads do here anymore. =/
    Thanks, man. Pity that there don't seem to be too many posters about besides the ARCers and those who are doing Oddetsey, but as long as some get to see what I can make, that'd be good.

Its a good design if all the internals are laid out correctly. As for links to Cassius, hmmm, perhaps but I would put it closer to Roadblock or the current champ Explosion, but flattened. Very low which can be an advantage but since you don't have to worry about spinner why not make it for real, even if its just a wooden prototype. There seems to have been a return from these vapour bots and fantasy matches, I just wonder why people don't build their ideas for real.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Its a good design if all the internals are laid out correctly. As for links to Cassius, hmmm, perhaps but I would put it closer to Roadblock or the current champ Explosion, but flattened. Very low which can be an advantage but since you don't have to worry about spinner why not make it for real, even if its just a wooden prototype. There seems to have been a return from these vapour bots and fantasy matches, I just wonder why people don't build their ideas for real.
    Glad you like it! The reason I made it resistant to spinners is because there's quite a lot of them about on ARC, so I like to make sure I have the necessary protection to fight them- hence the thick armour and angled panels. They look pretty cool as well, so that's another good advantage to have.

As mentioned in the first post, I do fully intend to build some of my ARC machines, someday- I consider myself good at coming up with combat-effective ideas (Which I hope to use this here thread to show.), but I suppose it's the usual aspects, such as a lack of time, money, and engineering know-how that cause problems at the moment. Still, I do like the idea of making wooden prototypes of my designs, so thanks for the suggestion- I might give that a look.
    Are there any pictures of such prototypes about here? Just so I know what it is I could try making.

Most people seem to have moved to using CAD such as Sketch up, which has its perks. Many people sling together a first machine out of whatever they have, not necessarily wood. Just use what you have, doesn't have to be pretty just prove the principals.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Most people seem to have moved to using CAD such as Sketch up, which has its perks. Many people sling together a first machine out of whatever they have, not necessarily wood. Just use what you have, doesn't have to be pretty just prove the principals.
    Ah, OK. Personally, I like to draw my robots first, and then I render them using Autodesk Maya. It's good for doing the shapes and planning how everything works, but a solid prototype would be worth trying as well, I think. For some reason, I could personally imagine a wooden prototype working a lot like flat-pack furniture.

Here's my next one for now, though.

Master of Puppets, a Heavyweight Crusher/Lifter hybrid. Named after the Metallica album and song of the same name, this one's a remake of an old design I had for Ruination: The Omen on ARC, where it made the Last Eight in its Division. It's armed with two main weapons- a pair of hydraulic Crushing Rams with 4 tons of pressure at the tips, and a wide, electric-driven Lifting Scoop that is designed to not only flip and lift opponents effectively, but can lift up and around the Crushing Rams to self-right quickly, and work in conjunction with them to pierce opponents, hold them into the air and carry them around.

It's also designed with a good balance of speed, traction and torque, a robust four-wheel drive chassis with a low centre of gravity for improved carrying ability and wedge resistance, and strong all-round protection. Not only does it have good armour, but it's further protected by angled plating for deflecting blows, sprung skirts along the sides for foiling sneaky wedges, and a Cushioned Rear Plate for blocking blows from spinners.
    The plate works using a configuration of shock absorbers reinforced by two thick pieces of metal on the back of it, mounted on each side by internal rails (Like a chest of drawers.) so that it can absorb heavy impacts from spinners, and then turn around and get the opponent with the weapons.

Overall, I'd say it's a solid design, and one I will admit I'm genuinely proud of- much like with Dreadnought above, this is one of the other machines I hope to build in real life, someday. And just so you know- yes that is Metallica artwork on the lid. No cheesy pop themes for this one when he enters the arena!
    Last edited by GF93; 31st March 2014 at 02:01.

(just for those that don't know, ARC [Advanced Robot Combat] is a wholly Fanfic forum elsewhere, using a points-based system instead of actual technical stats :P)

Register To Comment