Register To Comment
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Wheels for drill-gearboxes?

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    To be honest I was just trying to make people laugh. I am serious in terms of people starting with a beetle if they're struggling with making a wheel that spins true on a shaft. There's nothing defeatist about starting small n working up to the more difficult stuff.
    I started with ant weights myself

The Colson wheels you linked to on the Banebots site likely wouldn't work with the nut melt method. The bore comes out at ~15.5mm, which doesn't leave enough material for the nut to melt into. I'd second Harry's advice and go for the Bearing Boys wheels. They're very cheap and plenty of stock, with a 12mm bore which is ideal for melting nuts into, and although they're not as grippy as the 'Blue' wheels that used to be sold by Robo Challenge, that can be easily solved by screwing some bike tyre onto them if you find grip to be an issue.

Ok thanks for the advice guys

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    The Colson wheels you linked to on the Banebots site likely wouldn't work with the nut melt method. The bore comes out at ~15.5mm, which doesn't leave enough material for the nut to melt into. I'd second Harry's advice and go for the Bearing Boys wheels. They're very cheap and plenty of stock, with a 12mm bore which is ideal for melting nuts into, and although they're not as grippy as the 'Blue' wheels that used to be sold by Robo Challenge, that can be easily solved by screwing some bike tyre onto them if you find grip to be an issue.
    Another issue I can see is the width of the wheels from Bearing boys looks like it might take up too much space on the shaft of the drill motor, in my robot's case at least.

Has anyone ever seen these in imperial sizes (like, say, 3/8 unf...)?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/M8-Threade...EAAOSwMgdX1bYd

s-l1600.jpg

I've been looking hard for them, for wheels. This is the closest I found: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1621813832...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Ooh, shame they aren't ridged to stop them trying to spin round, but they could still work, thanks.

Nothing to stop you scoring them with a grinder or a file and then ramming them into an undersized hole in the wheel.

Register To Comment