Register To Comment
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rango - Build diary

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hi guys. Tormenta 2 got pretty knackered last year, and whilst we'll probably patch it up and get it running, it'd be nice to have an all new machine for the champs. I'm building and funding this one solo, so I've spent a few months brainstorming/designing/cheapening and in the past month or so, ordering parts.

Rango is a 4WD machine with a small drum up front.

Some details, feel free to skip!..

-Construction: 15mm 7075 aluminium weapon bulkheads with 20mm HDPE sides, 1mm ti base (non structural), 5mm HDPE top. 12mm HDPE back panel, 3.2 or possibly 4mm hardox wedge on the front.
    -Weapon: ~2kg "drumette" doing around 9k rpm.
    -Drive: 2x Johnson 885 motors @ 18v (about 600w each) powering 75mm wheels, around 15mph top speed.
    -Speedos: TZ85s
    -Battery: one of the 5s 30C Optipower packs, probably 4300mah.
    -Radio: anything I can get cheaply
    -Things: stuff

Quite a few parts have already arrived/I've started to make. Still need to get the battery, 3 speedos, weapon construction, hardox front end, etc.

The main aspect of this machine is its drive. It's essentially a rambot with an electric flipper on the front.

I had intended to make a simple machine as my first solo build, which I have completely failed to do. And I'm pretty late on starting so chances are this'll be riddled with reliability issues if it's even complete by April. I bought a hobby lathe a few months ago so if nothing else it should have some nice shiny bits. :P

Will update with some pics of what I have so far at some point. For now, that's it, cheers.

Ellis
    Last edited by Ellis; 6th February 2014 at 13:04.

How far have you geared the drum down? It must be fairly slow if you are planning for it to be an electric flipper, or is it just designed to toss machines over like Conker 1?

By electric flipper I just mean I'm not setting out to make a really damaging spinner. The weapon reduction is around 3.5:1, giving a real-world 9000rpm or so. Being single tooth that's like a two tooth disc doing 4500, coupled with the fast drive I'm hoping this translates into consistently good contact. Only time will tell!

A few pics to get the ball rolling, more will be added to photobucket here.

Nice

Needs moar belt!
    And there's something about the way the drive motors are orientated that oozes cool. It's always the little things

Looking serious awesome guys!

Looks great, very similar to k2 from the US, what weapon motor is that? I thought it was a brushless but it only has 2 wires I can see

Edit. Ignore that I just noticed that it does in fact have 3 I'm just blind
    Last edited by mrsam; 7th February 2014 at 13:01.

Register To Comment