Register To Comment
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wheels to fit drill motors?

The slightly confusing thing about Banebots wheel hex hubs are that there are two sizes you have to select; the bore size and the hex size. For example, the nearest size hex hub that will fit on a GR-02 shaft (12mm) is the one with a 1/2" bore (12.7mm). But if it has a 1/2" bore, the hex size is 3/4", so you need to buy a corresponding Banebots wheel with a 3/4" hex cutout. A common mistake is to buy a 1/2" hub and a 1/2" hex wheel.

Using the 1/2" bore hub on a GR-02 means you need to shim up the extra 0.7mm to stop wheel wobble. Pretty sure there are some pictures in Gary's Boner thread as he used a thin piece of copper to fill out the gap.

And Max, those UNF hex hubs look ideal! Since they're a 3/4" hex, they should fit one of these for example: http://www.technobotsonline.com/bane...-shore-50.html
    The only thing you'd need to do is find a way to stop the wheel from moving laterally along the hub, but a grub screw or collet could easily sort that out. Might get a few to try out with the Scot-Bots kits as it's potentially more solid than a melted plastic nut and allows for easier changeovers.

Are those hex-hubs reverse-threaded?

They don't need to be, the 3/8" thread on drills (larger outer thread) is regular right-hand, it's the inner thread which is a left-hand.

M5 left to be exact.

How would this be put together? Would the hex-hub be glued to the Banebots wheel and then screwed to the output shaft of the gearbox? How would you fasten it with the reverse-thread screw?

Using the hubs linked above on eBay?

I'd need to get my hands on them to be sure but the way I currently envisage it is:

- put an M10 penny washer on the drill output shaft
    - screw the UNF hex hub onto the drill shaft
    - slide the Banebots wheel - with corresponding hex hole - onto the UNF hub (I'd also make sure the hub is cut flush with the wheel)
    - secure the hub in place with the M5 reverse thread screw and an M5 penny washer.

The purpose of the two washers would be to stop the wheel moving from side to side on the hub, as well as their standard washer duties.

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    Using the hubs linked above on eBay?

I'd need to get my hands on them to be sure but the way I currently envisage it is:

- put an M10 penny washer on the drill output shaft
    - screw the UNF hex hub onto the drill shaft
    - slide the Banebots wheel - with corresponding hex hole - onto the UNF hub (I'd also make sure the hub is cut flush with the wheel)
    - secure the hub in place with the M5 reverse thread screw and an M5 penny washer.

The purpose of the two washers would be to stop the wheel moving from side to side on the hub, as well as their standard washer duties.
    Yeh that's exactly what I had in mind, I'd be interested to hear if it works!

Quote Originally Posted by Max View Post
    I'd be interested to hear if it works!
    Likewise if you get round to it before me, as it'll probably be a couple of months before I get time to try it.

Pity p&p is so prohibitive.

Register To Comment