Register To Comment
Page 46 of 58 FirstFirst ... 36444546474856 ... LastLast

Thread: HardWired II

We use that NTM in Valkiri on 4S.
    And we're thinking of downgrading, lower rpm on an smaller disk. Even with a wheelbase over 500mm the gyrodance limits any kind of turning to "use a calendar to measure time to turn 180°".

That's why both my vertical spinners are eggbeaters - so much less gyro effect at high RPM

On full speed they turn fast enough to be meassured with something more accurate than a cuckoo clock?

Wait for our National championship next weekend to find out. As long as Mr Mangle can turn a bit faster than all the disk spinners, that's a a win for me. There is some complicated maths to prove that gyro forces favour small diameter spinners but I never attempted to work the equations.

Nikc, you know I'm a follower of your building thread. And I'm eagerly awaiting the fights over there.

I can't resist a free plug to get everyone else watching the event:http://www.robowars.org/forum/viewto...1978&start=180, There should be heaps of video and possibly a live stream.

My theory at the minute is to have the bar very torquey so that I can essentially have it on tick-over and then when I end up lining an attack up I can spin it up to full in very little time... of course, it's all just a theory but I can see it being at least somewhat usable I guess. Going through a little bit of a redesign once again though on the drive side of things, may or may not look alarmingly similar to Electric Boogaloo now... That said, I'm borrowing from the best! The utter carnage that caused against Original Sin was frankly incredible.

I'm also looking forward to those fights too Nick! If you happen to need a livestream chat moderator or something whilst it's all going, give me a shout and I'll be on hand to help! Particularly looking forward to seeing how everything pans out though, there seems like there's going to be some really solid matches!

Seriously though, I'm hoping to make a crack at getting HW2 running soon... it's just about money and time, being a student I have little of each! Not to mention a few side projects I need to get doing. Robots have definitely taken a back seat, but it should only be temporary!

It seems counter-intuitive to have what will essentially be 3 machines running for the champs I realise, but if I have HW2 running I have a fallback - if I get the other two running then it's a job well done! HW3 should be simple but expensive, Archangel a lot more complicated but cheaper. Just depends on what I can get sorted really...

Oh, and I found a solution to HW2's drive problems - single stage RS775s. With a certain combination of gears I can get something like 9.5:1 on 80mm wheels, which might tax the motors a little but the thing will move, and that's good enough for me at this rate! Would love a pair of 900s to just drop in, but unfortunately I simply can't afford the asking price for them these days, and then there's the worry of breaking one too... RS775s are much more common I'm led to believe (hence, cheaper) so would potentially be viable to at least get it operational.

I've done some interesting things to the design of HW3 though, which in turn should hopefully negate this sort of problem in the future... hopefully!

Or at least, I've built it with edits/upgrades in mind, not just to directly fit the size of the 900s, which has naturally led to many problems with it being a relatively compact gearbox choice length wise - would stick a pair of drills in there but it plain and simple isn't big enough!
    Last edited by Flag Captured; 3rd October 2014 at 21:42.

Register To Comment