Register To Comment
Page 2 of 43 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Boring Brick

Yeah the orange seems like a great piece of kit, comes in at about £70 with postage from Hobbyking so i guess i look at it as an investment that can be used on other bots in the future, and yes i agree clear orange plastic looks horrible

might be worth checking your local model shop i managed to get a dx5e for £45 without the rx, i then bought a orange rx for £6-8 off ebay

For £80 you can get a spectrum dx6i:
    http://www.f1hobbies.com/shop.php?id=6990&level

I say these are pretty much the best radio set people use (some will use slightly better sets but very few). These are high quality and used by feather weights and most heavyweights. Have lots of different settings and unlike some of the cheaper transmitters won't get 'drowned out' when there are lots of other radios around.

Managed to find a spektrum dx5e for £45 but also a dx4e for £30, would the dx4e still bind to the orange rx? i'm presuming it does but i'm just wanting to make sure

Scrap that last post, after much deliberation i have decided to go for the dx5e, its not really that much more expensive and other people seem to have success with it. Also the design and specs of the machine have changed slightly, parts will be on order as from friday so pictures will follow.
    The new design is as follows..
    Going for a 10mm hdpe baseplate and top lid instead of nylon as recommended
    Sticking with the gr02's for now although ive spotted 3 cordless black and decker 12v drills on ebay, two of them are identical which could be used for the drive and the other i would use as spares and also use the gears to change the other two to all metal gearboxes.
    4-5mm stainless wedge, at some point will switch to hardox if necessary.
    Decided that a nylon chassis could be prone to cracking if hit by a powerful spinner, and i don't really want to use hdpe as a structural material, so the sides and back will be 10mm ali or steel with hdpe and polycarb on top of that, it might seem like overkill but i'm planning on making this thing as small and as strong as possible.
    Still undecided on whether to use the botbitz 85a or 30a speed controllers.
    And finally sticking with the two 8.4v 3700ah nimhs, for no other reason than i already have them kicking about and it seems a shame not to use them.

Phew that's a long one, once again all suggestions and comments welcome

Go for the 85's. Easier to upgrade later on.

I think that it will be the 85's as they leave the most room for improvement, the robot now has a name it will be known henceforth as.... Jack of Blades....dun dun. If anybody has played the game fable you'll know that Jack of Blades waas the main villain who wore the possessed mask.

Jack of all Blades sounds more fun tough.

Jack of all blades, I like it

How does polycarbonate usually stand up in the arena? I have a sheet of 12mm that I'm thinking could be the lid, any thoughts?

Register To Comment