Register To Comment
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: pneumatics for featherweight

You got a point there, to counter this some rams incorporate cushions in the endcap...on mine I placed a rubber disc on the piston so the impact will be dampened

http://m.machinedesign.com/pneumatic...atic-cylinders
    Last edited by Liftoff; 5th October 2014 at 10:38.

I have drilled 4mm holes in the top of the ram since I made that video. Where can I get my hands on these rubber cushions Chris?

I doubt you'll find any off the shelf for your ram, there are kits you can buy, but only for branded parts eg festo, parker, smc etc. On mine I used a piece of rubber, punched it into a disk and glued it to the piston. You could do the same, take the circlip off and remove the top cap, put a piece of rubber say 5mm thick and you're good to go.

Rahu your 8mm pipe should be ok
    What's the port size of the cylinder you bought, and at what pressure are you operating?

Then you got your answer... not using a buffer means you're relying on the regulator for flow, the regulator orifice is very small and flow is low, you got yourself a lifter not a flipper.
    You need a buffer tank to achieve anything close to what you see on videos you've seen.
    A better idea would be to enlarge the port orifice on the cylinder and install a QEV on the inlet...all this has been discussed at length on various threads...and I believe on this thread as well...on the first pages there's a schematic

Your issue is indeed flow. You need enough of a reserve of pressurized gas to be able to get the ram filled quickly. The best way to achieve this is with a buffertank between the regulator and the valve. Rule of thumb, the volume of the buffertank should be at least 3 times the volume of the ram. But even if it is smaller, it all helps.

Register To Comment