Register To Comment
Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: pneumatics for featherweight

Quote Originally Posted by Liftoff View Post
    I've seen an accident on youtube, in India I believe, and the injured kid is lucky to have got away with his life.
    Heres a link for anyone whos not seen it

Quote Originally Posted by Rahulvyas View Post
    haha well you are right, here robo wars is a new thing, so not many people are good at it.
    That doesn't make it safer...

Anyway, liftoff, the 150psi pressure we were talking about before is the pressure that is regulated to the cylinder or which is stored in the tank? if that is it , then what psi pressure we store in paintball tank?
    A properly filled paintball tank has a pressure depending on temperature, that is why you need to fill it on weight, not pressure.
    @20°C it's 750 PSI/55bar
    @35°C it's 1000PSI/70 bar

And this is why I prefer you not going the pneumatic way...too many things which could go wrong, its not like charging a car tyre

No you have no control over temp, but that goes to show you that there is no fixed pressure at which you store liquid co2, and highlights the importance of a properly rated storage tank.
    As to the number of flips, thats not the way to calculate it. Remember this is not compressed air...if it were air you'd be correct. Liq Co2 is a gas in liquid form so you got much more volume of gas when it evaporates. Ie more flips

Its possible to know the no of flips you can get from a tank...an approximate calculation anyway...
    Lets say you have a 12oz paintball tank and a 50mm x 75mm bore x stroke ram. So you start off with a supply of 12oz liquid Co2 at about 20deg C, and a ram volume of 0.15lt

Density of LCo2 at 20'c=27oz/lt
    Density of Co2 gas at 20'c at 8 bar=0.535oz/lt
    Ram can hold 0.08oz of co2 at 8 bar.
    mass co2 tank/mass co2 ram (at 8 bar) = no of flips
    12oz/0.08oz=150flips approx.

I am not a pneumatic's person myself but as CO2 is far better in this regard than air, this is manly due to its stability as air is (as you know) is a mix of gasses and will not compress to a liquid. (evenly at least) CO2 will do it reliably and consistently.

Even better for this is nitrogen, that is capable of even higher pressures (3000psi +) when it goes from liquid to gas. but it is also illegal to use in machines over here for that very reason. It could easily blow most systems apart.

We have a 10 bar pneumatic set up for an axe robot and even at that now pressure I know if I make a mistake it could be fatal.

As for filling, we have a massive CO2 tank in the garage, in the same size tank you have for argon when welding. Basically a filling station. You may need a few adapters but its not that hard. But never go making your own! And most people use fire extinguisher tanks here as the ratings are known and they are designed to be safe from the outset.

A fill station off ebay costs nothing, and that's the cheapest way...your other option is to go to a paintball shop and have them fill the bottles for you.
    Cant think of any other way tbh

Register To Comment