Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why CO2?

I was thinking about this the other day and i was wondering...

why do the pneumatic flippers use CO2 gas? Is it because you can get more force out of it than other gases or something? I'm not really an expert on these sorts of things.

At 1000psi it is a liquid and so is easier to store in a compressed form. Nitrogen needs a higher pressure I believe

Thats right, liquid nitrogen is more in the range of 10000psi .... imagine the weight of a tank able to contain that!

I'd assume that, derivative of that, it's the safety too in case one of them gets a puncture - I'm no expert but if Liquid CO2 is 1000 psi and Liquid Nitrogen is 10,000 psi, the latter's going to go with a significantly larger bang...

http://blogs.howstuffworks.com/2009/...quid-nitrogen/

Nitrogen won't liquefy at any pressure at room temperature

Best energy density changing from liquid to gas, easier to engineer, cheap to replace, not flammable & not a greenhouse gas.

Main reason why CO2 is used is the FRA rules. We are not allowed to go over 1000psi/70 bar for pneumatics.
    CO2 or air, all the rest of the inert gasses like Nitrogen ain't allowed since a few years. This to avoid event organisers having to set up a tankpark with any kind of inert gas available. Even with people bringing their own refill bottle.

A tad of further explanation.

Stored CO2 is expressed in mass (kg), as most other gasses are expressed in volume (liters).

1 Kg of CO2 is 512 liters of gas at room temperature and pressure. A 2 kg CO2 bottle has a volume of 3 liters. Therefore, there is 1024 liters of gas in that bottle.

With nitrogen/air/helium that same bottle can hold 210 liters of gas @70 bar. And even @200 bar it's "only" 600 liters.

I believe CO2 wins in storage capacity...

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    Best energy density changing from liquid to gas, easier to engineer, cheap to replace, not flammable & not a greenhouse gas.
    Oh, CO2 not a greenhouse gas?

Quote Originally Posted by psychostorm View Post
    not a greenhouse gas.
    Lolwhut?

Thanks Guys

Register To Comment