Register To Comment
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The Unnamed (FW)

Those screws take ages to remove/refit, especially compared to the modding process itself. I just cut the spare wire off with snips though now, shaves another few seconds off the process

Oh boy, it's been a while.

I took it to Burgess Hill, and managed to murder 4 OrangeRXs in <24 hours. After the 4th one (donated by some lovely beetle weight guys, THANKS!) I figured that the universe was telling me to give it up. The casualties:
    (antenna mod on the right is my own work)

I've got the robot moving again under remote control, this time with a LemonRX receiver. I'm not 100% sure why the OrangeRXs kept dying. I was blaming the large arcing and sparking that happens every time I insert the removable link/fuse but I couldn't get voltage spikes of >7.2 Volts during testing which is just within the maximum voltage of an OrangeRX so they should have been okay. The LemonRX on the other hand has a maximum voltage of ~10 Volts so should be more immune to that kind of crud. Of course I wouldn't be an engineer if I didn't then go and design an over complicated way of fixing the problem, thus I present my eFuse:

It's approximately 50mm x 31mm x 7mm has under voltage, over voltage and over current lock out, with automatic re-try. It can be set to custom voltage/current limits. It will also soft start to stop arcing/sparking and prolong contact lifetimes. Still a bit more work to do but I'm hoping it'll be amazing.

Of course now I've fixed the receiver I find out that the mixer (GWS V-TAIL MIXER) is acting up, when connected to an oscilloscope it seems to do the right thing but when in the robot it starts acting funny. I need to do some further testing and may have to buy a new one. Although I could make one...

To distract myself from the non-working robot I've designed some snazzy lights to go inside the drive belt area. They are programmable and can run through some nice patterns, here they are during development:

And with the large 18V Dewalt motors I had a few months ago I started drawing up robot designs while at Newcastle Maker Faire and when I got back I laser cut one out of cardboard to see how it would fit together. Its inspired by Tormenta 3 as well as some interesting conversations I had with makers at Maker Faire.

The cardboard will be replaced with water-jetted Hardox ~3mm thick. Gives a new meaning to Cardboard Aided Design.

I'm glad to hear you got it working under remote, still can't fathom why it was killing oranges all over the place but I'd be interested to know the results if you find out.
    As for the mixing, what TX do you use? I thought I saw you with a DX6i...

Have you cut the power line to the RX of one of the TZs; You should only ever have one BEC powering an RX, so ideally need to cut the positive wire to the RX from one of them. And the arcing is standard as the caps charge; most people will get this. If it's larger than normal than this is more likely to be a symptom of a problem than a cause. The thing I find that normally blows lemons is reverse voltage; they can't handle even the slightest blip of it where as Lemons don't care as much.. Might be worth looking in to..

That's quite a number of wrecked receivers. It's quite a popular combination of electronics in featherweights though, the Orange RXs and TZ-85s. To the forum in general, has anyone else had a similar issue occurring?

I managed to kill 3 RX's at the champs this year despite having only 1 TZ85A powering the RX, one I am pretty sure was caused by a short circuit though. The other two... no idea. I have been considering returning to a dedicated BEC like I had in C1 and C2 but it may have just been my wiring.

Never had them blow back to back like that. Tormenta 3 uses an older orange (12-18 months) and TZ85s and it was fine, but I specifically used the older one as those purchased more recently (<12 months) have been unreliable; something lots of builders the world over are experiencing. My guess is manufacturing changes in later models, probably to cut costs, are introducing faults that older units don't experience.

Register To Comment