Register To Comment
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The Unnamed (FW)

Yes, as Mario says, that is likely the failure. It's a flaw with all Gimson/drill-based gearboxes. Surprising it happened so soon, maybe it was the additional load from the belts that accelerated the process. Pop it open, it's likely the output axle's carrier plate is toast and the second stage gears might be half eaten. If so there are a few fixes.

You'll likely to have to replace the shaft, typically the holes in the plate that these pins press into get badly stretched and won't serve again when they fail like this. I intend to try and solve the issue with some custom pins, that have an m4 threaded portion that taps into the carrier plate. With a bit of permanent loctite this should prevent the pins from ever loosening, I just haven't come round to testing :P. Another method may be to simply apply some of the same metal glue/loctite to the pin (popping it out carefully and putting it back in with gloop) but I don't know how effective that would be. There's a third solution which involves sourcing the right diameter rod, leaving it a little long (so protruding about 1mm on the output shaft side of the plate) and then ballpeening that little stub so it mushrooms out, again so the pin cannot pull through and fail. That method has been used with success by the RoboChallenge guys on their drive-all-day kits for years.

Other than that, the motor is likely deaded too, but the speedo should have taken it in its stride (they have for us, many times).

I'm sure a solution can be found, I imagine you're already cooking up your own!

edit: can be done too. v
    Last edited by Ellis; 11th May 2014 at 09:47.

I think the solution is locking the axle to the bearings so it can't move longitutal. (in and out)

How come you left slack in the belt? There are lots of calculators out there that will give you the exact distance between centres so they are perfectly positioned from the start. If you are using HTD belts, which it looks like you are, you may be able to buy slightly shorter belts to make your life easier. Looks good though, shame about the dud Gimson.

I used those calculators, in fact I actually shrunk the dimensions a tad ahead of machining, and the belts on Rango were way tight, including the weapon belt. ^

Bearing material I used in the wheels played a large role but they were still a lot tighter than I'd have liked.

http://www.technobotsonline.com/timi...alculator.html

I have used that to calculate every belt I have ever used and it has been perfect every time

I think the solution is locking the axle to the bearings so it can't move longitutal. (in and out)
    I'll have a look at the gearbox closely then, seems a shame this is a known problem without a factory fitted fix. Unfortunately due to my setup I can't see a way of locking the axle to stop longitudinal movement, I guess a cir-clip on the shaft could help, but I don't know where I could fit it.

EDIT: Well, I must be on drugs. I checked the motor around lunchtime today and the gearbox was fine. The motor spins again, put it back together and drove it around some more. I'm utterly stumped, WTF it was catastrophically buggered Saturday night but now they work almost perfectly. I guess it was the drill motor fairy?

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    How come you left slack in the belt? There are lots of calculators out there that will give you the exact distance between centres so they are perfectly positioned from the start.
    That's exactly what I did! I've got 300mm between drive axle and driven axle, I've got 22 tooth pulleys on both axles for HTD 5mm pitch 9mm wide belt. This works out to exactly to the standard 710 tooth belt which is what I bought and fitted. I've mesured the spacing and it's 300.00mm. *shrug* I knew I'd have to deal with some slack as the belt stretched and wore but I wasn't expected as much as I have right now. Of course it's not difficult to deal with, a delrin guide will reduce wear and keep the belt tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
    I'm sure a solution can be found, I imagine you're already cooking up your own!
    Oh I've got you're solution right here!

Just kidding they're for messing around with, They're much too large for this bot, at the moment...

Register To Comment