Register To Comment
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Weapon Rule?

I should wait for the Robo challenge guys to answer this question for you,

From my point of view. I don't mind either way as I have both types. they could do both active weapon only and all inclusive if they wanted to.

As far as spinners not wanting steel boxes, I would say All is fair in love and Robot Wars.

I believe one of the problems with an active weapon rules, is that with the lack of allowed "Spinny Devices", the already small enough base of usable weapons on the weight classes will shorten, until either everyone uses the same, or there's 30 of each. Though the solution of making up new effective weapons sounds good, it's not easy, as many experienced builders, and beginners alike looking for something new know.

It was mentioned at the AGM at Whitwick this year that Robochallenge had proposed an active weapon rule. This was voted against by the members of the FRA. So the final decision was that Robochallenge could still introduce the rule for their events but they would not fall within the FRA guidelines.

Thats what I seem to remember anyway so feel free to correct me.

So the guidelines need changing, hmmmm.......

In some ways it makes sense- bots without an active weapon although entertaining have all the other events in the years to get out and play, but for spinners this event is their only chance to get out so it seems fair to stop these other, sometime less entertaining, push bots to make more space and time for the spinners.
    To solve this you could open up the sign up to active weapon robots and then opening it up to all robots if there are spaces left.

I don't know because I'm not an event organiser, but doesn't appear to be to much of a problem.
    Not sure though

Event organisers are still free to put their own restrictions to the event. If those organisers use the active weapon rule, it means less machines can participate.

On the other hand, what is an active weapon?

Watch the crowd during a box on box match. Their faces say it all

Quote Originally Posted by maddox10 View Post
    Event organisers are still free to put their own restrictions to the event. If those organisers use the active weapon rule, it means less machines can participate.

On the other hand, what is an active weapon?
    That's interesting Mario! Back home there is the active weapon rule, and most competitors who want to get round it and still build a rambot just added a spinning drill bit or cutting disc to their machine, and there you are... active weapon!

Register To Comment