Register To Comment
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Team Gas Diary's

Nice little review Marco

Btw, it's 'Seraphim'

Spartans first Version

Decided not to do a build diary on this as work was a little quiet and I was allowed to do occasional maintenance work from home and so didn't have time to slack and update a build diary.
    Been planning spartan for a while and it started as a clone of Trojan. I was at the final stages of design where I had a change of heart and thought I could try something new.

Went to the gym to clear my head and in between sets I sketches this up. I liked the idea and developed its design in a practical sense
    Eventually I ended up with spartans shape and spent a long time designing the construction. Which would be similar to Trojans. But less construction fastenings as I hate taking Trojan apart.

Going to skim over how I built it but basically I got back my old combo lathe/mill. So made my own wheels and milled most of the aluminium.

The drive motors are Ampflow E30’s and are amazing motors. They are about half the weight of Trojans MYB 300 watt scooter motors and about the same stats.
    I had to reduce the motor shaft size as it was 13mm which is a hairy operation

Weapon drill is a cheap standard argos one as I have about 4 in a box, but will probably upgrade for the UK champs. The lifting prongs are also interchangeable.

The chassis is 8mm bulkheads with 3mm steel in places and 10mm nylon.

It was coming in very light at about 11kg so I started using more steel which increased its weight significantly to over 14kg. Though I am not worried as there is tons of weight reduction that can be done.

My next months plan is
    see what goes wrong at Whitwick and fix it
    Get it in weight
    Build an anti spinner weapon
    Possibly upgrade the weapon system.

<span id="docs-internal-guid-92b66fe1-f08c-ffb4-ed03-8da6be8288a1"><span style="font-size: 15px; font-family: Arial; color: rgb(0, 0, 0); vertical-align: baseline; white-space: pre-wrap; background-color: transparent;">
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looking great Marco, it sounds like it's screaming when you use the forks lol

I really like the look of that! Has that 'get out of my way or else' look about it. Now you just need to play the 300 Soundtrack when you fight and the illusion will be complete!

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    Now you just need to play the 300 Soundtrack when you fight and the illusion will be complete!
    2 Ampflow E30s? This is Madness! (Madness? This. Is. Spartan!, etc)

But seriously though, this looks really, really nice. Looks like it's pretty nippy too, should have no bother pushing everything about! You mentioned about upgrading the weapon too, have you considered something like replacing the motor in the drill for the lifter with a sensored brushless? Nothing huge, but you could probably get something faster and maybe a little lighter too than the equivalent 550 (I'd assume) motor...

Cheers guys.
    Brushless weapon motor is actually something I didn't consider and I think its a great idea. Going to look into it after the champs.

Brief summery of Whitwick was that it started bad and performed better as the event progressed. The RX slid out of its mount twice so caked it in hot glue and that seems to have kept it still.
    The drive had a moment fault but it was to do with the tensioner so planning something better
    Its solid enough. Was flipped by the arena flipper twice which had the power to launch it up to the ceiling and land on the other side of the arena 5ft up on the polycarb wall.
    On one of its arena flipper voyages the weapon motor cracked which isn't a surprise. So planning a more resilient weapon motor.

Currently it needs to shave weight and it has completely been stripped down and all parts weighed. Very confident it will be in weight.

Out of interest, what speed controllers are you using to control the drive? Are they Botbitz 85As?

Register To Comment