Register To Comment
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: Team Gas Diary's

Awesome work Marco, would have thought the forks would lift higher though..

That is an awesome looking machine.

And the forks could be fairly effective. You don't have to lift someone very high to get the wheels off the ground, it would have similar control properties to Ploughbot.

But I take it that its non-spinner given its construction and materials?

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots View Post
    That is soooo cool
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by razerdave View Post
    Awesome work Marco, would have thought the forks would lift higher though..
    Cheers Dave. Those prongs are literly only designed to lift up to avoid getting stuck on the floor. Its a bit of a test but they wont be lifting anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Eventorizon View Post
    That is an awesome looking machine.

And the forks could be fairly effective. You don't have to lift someone very high to get the wheels off the ground, it would have similar control properties to Ploughbot.

But I take it that its non-spinner given its construction and materials?
    Thanks mate. Yeah theory of the forks is to hook people without a solid base under the robot or cause some damage while ramming. Point of the robot is its drive and torque and I need a weapon to aid that.

I have been going back and forth on wether I can take on spinners. Its definetly not spinner proof (aka bomb proof box) but I think it can take a few nocks on the front scoop and even if it gets through that there is a 16mm HDPE bulkhead before the motors.

If I do go to a spinner competition I will heavily modify it and take loads of spares but I would be very very worried and expect to be destroyed.

That looks awesome marco, very tornado like...

If you keep the front end onto the spinners they'd be lucky to damage it.

How did you make that front scoop in your apartment/workshop?

Those angles would have to be done on a brake, or welded on as individual pieces?

Sorry PJ, I did respond to this on my phone but clearly nothing is here! I have a handy little balcony which my wife has assigned me to do metalworking and did none of it in my tiny apartment.
    I cut and tac welded the front scoop together then final welded it.

Also got loads of interest on the LED matrix at the back of Trojan and as promised here is a link to the company that developed the kit.

http://ledpixelart.com/

Yep, I did pay quite a bit and was going to enquire if they could do an even more bare bones kit with just the board but I suppose that kit also includes costs of developing the code for the hardware and the app.
    There is much cheaper options with just a board to cycle through gifs

Welding on the balcony? Your neighbours must love you!

Haha, well the only neighbors it affects are the ones above us. They have a 2 year old and a 3 year old. So we seem to have an unspoken contract of we'll put up with kids screaming and chasing each other at 6am and I can use my power tools

Haha, sounds like a deal!

Righty roundup of last event as it was a bit more eventfull. In bullet point form as its easier to read!

Pop a mixer in Trojan as I was having trouble going forward!

Day before RW maidstone decided to test drive trojan in the local park
    Get loads of attention and let many youngsters drive it around, robots batteries gets a bit flat
    Take Trojan home and spent a long while making new graphics for the rear LED panel forgot about batteries.
    Get to maidstone only needing to charge the batteries.
    Battery error
    Panic and get some advice to check battery voltage
    Its very low and have two bricked batteries less than 2 hours before the show starts.
    Panic some more
    Call up a local model shop only a mile away and they have 3 amp 3cell lipos!
    Drive there to find shop has moved 10 miles away
    Panic some more
    Some how drive there with no sat nav and pick up the batteries
    Get back to the event less than an hour before show starts
    change connectors and charge the batteries as much as I can before the first FW fight
    It goes well, lots of people love the LED panel
    Charge and fight in second fight
    Goes very well. Last two robots (Cerefin and myself)
    Managed to kind of get Explosion OOTA with a combination of him attempting to self right and me attempting to wall slam him
    Sleep, return, charge, third featherweight fight
    Arena is looking hazardous with another pit created by Ripper a fight earlier. Plus lots of areas to get stuck.
    Doesnt stop me being bold and attempting to ram a featherweight flipper early on (sorry dont know name)
    Didnt notice pit was down. Featherweight flips (aka jumps) over the pit, I drive straight in
    Face palm
    Gets stuck under arena pit and crushed when it was attempted to be raised
    Crying smiley suits robot
    fourth fight
    Bit better then last but upside down for most and not very eventful
    Stuck on top of small cheese for a while
    Last 30 seconds left drive gets reduced to about 10% speed
    Open up, see no obvious faults
    Starts working fine again a bit later
    Strange

Maidstone was great fun. Wasn't as much of a success robot performance wise as Newport but robot upgrades did the job. Much more visable, added a lot of character.

Jobs before next event ‘Gloucester’

Isolate reason for left side drive failure
    Put in improved lifting prongs
    Possibly try and get more ground clearance

Main job
    Start planning out heavy and even start on a bit of construction!

Register To Comment