Register To Comment

Thread: FW 4WD 4 bar lifter/rammer Build

Hello guys, it's about time. I'd made a thread so I can get sound advice and avoid any cock ups!

Gareth is giving me the chassis and wedges from 489 to build up from... I think there will be a lot of hacking involved to be honest!

The shell is (I think) 12mm HDPE which. I would like to retain but also clad the sides with 25mm to be more spinner resistant rather than reuse those curved pieces of steel.
    For drive I intend to use 4 Argos drill motors with Banebots 98mm wheels, then after a year or two upgrade the motors to something twice as powerful.

For the weapon it will predominantly be a rambot/pusher but I would like to have a 4 bar lifter powered by a brushless motor that can lift around 40-50kg and withstand an impact with the arena side wall when raised. And to have a swappable hinged wedge at the front that spans the width of the robot. And as protection from spinners.i would like to be able to remove the weapon unit altogether to have to weight allowance to attach a 6mm thick hardox wedge to use against spinners.

This being my first robot, simplicity is key in order to learn but efficiency, reliability and cost are also important to me too.

Can anyone recommend to me a powerful but reasonably cheap brushless motor and ESC for the weapon unit, and decent speed controllers to use for the drive?

Thank you,
    All the best
    Adam
    Last edited by HereticBlue; 12th October 2014 at 13:38.

Thread update:

Jarvis has been helping me plan out what I'll be using, going what I have already. And as many of you have already guessed I have bought two S900s from Niel which will be the source for it's main weapon.... Power!

Drive: 2 x Speed 900s, 6:1 ratio, Banebots 98mm 50 shore wheels running belts for 4WD
    Speed Controllers: TZ85s
    Battery: 6S 3300mAh Lipo
    Weapon: Lifter run off a 50mm stroke Gimson GLA-750S linac with a 6mm Hardox wedge, similar to Tormenta 2s wedge, which can be swapped out for pivoted Hardox forks.
    Construction: HDPE: 25mm side armour, 15mm bulkheads in the centre, 12mm lid, base and rear armour.
    RC stuff: DX5e and OrangeRX

I would personally prefer the have the 6mm hardox wedge on a 40 degree pivot so when flipped the wedge will still ride along the floor but Jarvis reckons this would make the wedge weak? Is there any way to make it doable?

So if all goes to plan... This should be quite impregnable, if not then I'll go out in style... Ish.

Cheers,
    Adam

Sounds like it'll be a cool robot, any idea on what you are going to use to power the lifter yet?

don't worry, should have read your post properly
    Last edited by Andy; 12th October 2014 at 13:55.

Enjoy the motors

Register To Comment