Register To Comment
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Psyclone: The Uprising (Of Build Diaries)

A few hours remaking the model, having Google Sketchup be awkward and annoying, and having my three year old niece round, it has taken quite a bit of time, but it's finally done, I've taken three new screenshots of the new design, and I've got some specs of the original machine (No measurements unfortunately, they're written down somewhere). Just to say, looking back at the original model, the new one looks much much more polished than it will be, but it's to give an idea on what to expect, and such. Anyway, here's the new album: http://s1170.photobucket.com/user/TheDe ... %20Feather
    In the photos, the white boxes are in place of the actual speed controller that I'll probably end up using, as there's none of that specific size in the database. They're cheap, 15 quid a piece, but I'll be happy if they work. I don't want to fully invest into a ESC without trying cheaper alternatives first. Blue things are the batteries, I want to wire two 7.2v 4000 mAh batteries in series, to double the voltage.

And, some things about the original machine:
    2mm aluminium (Unknown properties) Around all the sides, mounted to 20mmx20mm aluminium (I think) bars, surrounding the top and the bottom of the machine. Uses Ford Fiesta (Old style) Wiper motors for the drive and lifter.
    That's all I can really gather, atm.

Just to ask, as I've not had the best of luck with receivers: Could anyone recommend a reliable, cheap, at least 3 Channeled Tx and Rx? The few I've had so far (A Radiolink T4EU, didn't work much; A HobbyKing HK-GT2, didn't work at all, and a Planet T5, Worked the best, still didn't work.) If you were at Leeds last year, and saw my little invertable robot bumble around the arena, it was incredibly awkward to control. Upper right was forward most of the time, bottom left was spin on the spot. Almost impossible to figure out, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't the robot itself. Either way, due to losing parts and breakages, I am now looking for a new Receiver for a new bot.

I feel really bad for quad posting, but I have another quick question to ask:

Where's the cheapest place to get Dx5e Transmitters? P&P included?

I've gathered that it's a very popular tx, and with the amount of people using it, and the sheer reliability, I'd take one and go for it. I also have an Orange DSM2 Rx from Hobbyking for some reason, which I believe fail safes on all channels. Should I get an official Spektrum one instead, or keep that one? It does work, I had a quick test to see if it switched on, via my old ant's Lipo.

Wow. Five posts in a row, but this one is kinda important. Probably.
    Anyway, I've compiled a quick list of parts for the robot, I'd just like some advice on a couple things, which I'll say at the end of this post. Nevertheless, here's the parts list:

3x http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Voltage- ... 20cffabd44

-I think these should suffice, and I will upgrade in the future, but I'm not sure if I want to invest in something like that now.

1x Gimson GLA-S 18v 150mm though I may end up with a 50mm one, placed further forward, for a faster lift, and potential short throw.
    2x GR02 Gear motor
    2x Robochallenge 75mm Blue wheels

Parts of the original armor will be used, but I'm not sure as to what I want for the lifter blade, as I need something that won't buckle under stress.

Should I invest with better escs, then? I'm sure they will suffice for a little while, but I just want to know.
    Should I make it a bit longer, and add an extra pair of wheels and motors? And would it be a good idea to go with two 50mm Actuators?

3x http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Voltage- ... 20cffabd44

-I think these should suffice, and I will upgrade in the future, but I'm not sure if I want to invest in something like that now.
    Don't bother, anything with RC Boat/Car etc listed on them won't be any good. 320 amps through a Tamyia connector, really? Get a Scorpion controller, just use a double ended weapon switch for the weapon, you don't need speed control.

So, a scorpion ESC, and something such as a Battleswitch, sounds better than my idea of ESCS, but it's all a learning process. Sorry for disappearing for an hour, as I usually respond right away, but I was having Sunday dinner with my family.

Right, so the additions to the list are as follows:
    1x Scorpion XL ESC
    1x Battleswitch or something like that*
    2x GLA-200 50mm (To give a faster and less stressful lift)

*Would a single battleswitch (Or similar) Be able to be wired up to two Actuators? I'd just like to make sure they stay more or less in sync, and one switch should help that.

Well, due to Yahoo cocking up my Emails, and disallowing me to continue with my other account, I have migrated to a team account, which will be used by any current (My father and I) and future team members. Sorry if this causes any inconvenience, but Yahoo is to blame for this.

Apologies for no updates on the actual robots, however I will soon enough gather the money to buy some of the parts.
    -Josh

Finally, I've made some indirect progress. Nothing's cut yet, but I've gotten some aluminium cutting Jigsaw blades, and a sharpie. One side of the armor is drawn to fit, just an attempt to measure it and get a rough size of it. Probably in a few days time, I will have it cut, and ready for some more panels.

So, today has been pretty good. I've finally gotten round to cutting a bit of the robot in the back garden. First off, I was using a cheapo Poundland hacksaw, which worked pretty well, for the first five minutes before it broke. Then, I went to use the jigsaw, which I had no prior experience with. Was fun, but tough. I need a new sawblade, so I can cut some guides.

Register To Comment