Register To Comment

Thread: Welding for beginners

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Hey Guys

At some point my feather is going to need some welding done. Is it something you can just buy and learn through practice? I've watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems relatively straight forward. Also advice on welders would be appreciated. I intend to weld steel box section and steel bar together (if that's do-able/recommended?).

Thanks

Thought I would just recycle this thread rather than start a new one

Looking into getting a welder in the 300 pound range. I would rather get well branded one that is rather limited and lasts for a while.

Another limitations is size. Have little space in my flat so mig and gas isnt really ideal so most likely ARC

Got some some experience welding with a cheap Mig SIP but it eventually died and I chucked it.

Would like to weld up to 4mm mild steel at least

Willing to pay more if any one has a strong recomendation but since I usually prefer plastics over metals its really only for the odd jobs which my MIG SIP used to do

Found a rather cheap thermal arc
    http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/18080...f13=80&ff14=66

Would this sort me?

Thanks in advanced and any trusted retailers would be super sweet.
    Cheers guys.

100A will happily weld up 4mm steel so it's over powered but should last you a lifetime. I started out with a £40 welder from makro that lasted me around 5 years before I sold it to Jamie, believe it's still going strong.

ive got a clarke 160a ARC welder yoused it on all my robots 3mm to 8mm steel its lasted me 11 years now and still going strong, we got it from machinemart they have still sell it
    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...&TC=SRC-welder

but you can get slightly cheaper versions lidl and aldi sometimes have them quite cheep and the bonus with the stick welder is there is less to go wrong

also the bonus with the 1 your looking at is that you can convert it to a tig
    Last edited by plargen; 21st June 2013 at 18:46.

Smoke and splatter might be an issue in your flat, TIG would be the 'cleanest'

Creat stuff guys. Ordering now.
    Liz would kill me if I welded inside alan. I have a tiny garden which is where I plan to weld. Its about the size of a balcony.

Register To Comment