Register To Comment
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welding for beginners

Hey Guys

At some point my feather is going to need some welding done. Is it something you can just buy and learn through practice? I've watched a few videos on YouTube and it seems relatively straight forward. Also advice on welders would be appreciated. I intend to weld steel box section and steel bar together (if that's do-able/recommended?).

Thanks

stick welders are good for thick steel and give a sturdy weld (it can be used on thinner steel its just not as easy)

tig welders give sturdy welds and are the tidiest

mig is technically the weakest as it doesn't give the level of penetration and its strength comes from volume of weld

Mig welder is perfect and easy too use, just get loads of waste bits and play :-)

From what I hear MiG is like a metal glue gun.
    It's not so bad... I think its the best option for a beginner in terms of cost and ease of use. And as long as you're not welding a 1/2 plate you'll be fine!
    If I had the cash to buy and time to learn I'd go for Tig...

i find arc (stick) is the cheapest as you don't have to buy gas and and you can get the welders quite cheap but unfortunately i haven't found electrodes for titanium and aluminium is a pain

Okay cool, think I'll go for an arc welder to begin with and maybe upgrade in the future if need be.

Is something like this pretty standard?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ferm-Power-10 ... 3cbb0b86ed

Thanks guys.

im using a 160A arc welder and its been used on all 3 of my robot shells so far 3,5 and 8mm midle steel shells

We have bought two beginner-range arc welders (much like the one you linked) over the past few years and have yet to weld anything very satisfactorily. I don't doubt it's largely down to our own inability to weld, but it doesn't feel like it's our entirely our fault. Even after a lot of practice it is worlds away from just welding. We hope to invest in something better soon, which will either prove us incompetent or prove us a little less incompetent .

Register To Comment