Register To Comment
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Pasty Build Diary: Loki

What Alex said; the Banebots / 775 combo works very well. You can't weld 7075 at all; it will crack as the welds cool. I would build it with titanium and maybe make it heavier at the front to resist spinner attacks.

Have a hunt around for some 755 motor drills. Found some for Endeavour and they perform brilliantly! There also a lot cheaper than the BB ones (cost me the same amount to buy one BB as it did to buy two of the Makita drills)

Quick comment on the arm, would probably be best to make it out of hardox or something similar... if you have the weight! With all those holes you've cad'ed on that drawing, it looks like it should be OK.

Good luck with build, looks very promising

Ahh lots to reply to! Thanks for all your views

I've already got the 900s so I'll stick with them for now but thanks for the recommendations. What's the best way to shock mount the 900s?

I originally planned for have a Hardox arm but I can't seem to get it underweight so that's why I've opted for ally. 5mm ally arm weights 1071g and 3.3mm Hardox 1724g (if Sketchup calculates the area correctly!). What alloy do people suggest for the arm that will weld well?

And the arm will have HDPE on the front and top.

Another question, is it better to have a QEV directly on the ram and a tube to the buffer, or the buffer directly on the QEV and a tube to the ram? Or does it make little difference?

The QEV can either be on the buffer or the ram. The most important thing being the distance between the them is as short as possible!

I like the look of the arm! Have you designed the rest of the robot? More pictures please

Well if I'm taking requests :P

[Please excuse dodgy CAD]

Looks really cool, I like it

One thing I would say, maybe just have hardox on the lip rather than the whole thing, as aluminium/hdpe will go blunt quite quickly and make it hard to get under other robots, while hardox will stay sharp, maybe just have bolt on hardox lips to the rest of the aluminium arm?

The strongest aluminium that can be reliably welded is probably 6061. some people say that 2024 can be welded but the spec sheets don't advise it.

What is the current pneumatic setup?

Just a quick note, something that weighs 1.07kg in 5mm alu would weigh 2.02kg in 3.2mm hardox. So not sure where the error is, but thought I'd mention it!

Register To Comment