Register To Comment
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Pasty Build Diary: Loki

Ha thanks, I think the photos do it more justice that it deserves. I used a jigsaw so they're not perfectly straight but I guess I didn't do a bad job lol

I'll see how things go in Portsmouth with the LED and make changes if necessary. Thanks for the heads up

Haven't finished stage 1 of my robot yet but have already been designing stage 2: the four bar lifter!

The final version won't be as wide and made of something a bit stronger than cardboard, pencils and sticky tape!

Normally I would agree, but I have to say it looks pretty cool sitting on top like that. Gives it a weird sort of forklift/telehandler look, quite industrial feeling. Should be good to see it progress

Yea it will be inside, once my dissertation and exams are out the way I'll get it all sorted. First stage is to get something that moves and can enter the arena, and I'm almost there!

Quote Originally Posted by RogueTwoRobots
    Normally I would agree, but I have to say it looks pretty cool sitting on top like that. Gives it a weird sort of forklift/telehandler look, quite industrial feeling. Should be good to see it progress
    Thanks Jamie

Really nice machine, look forward to seeing it running.

Well I had my first experience as a roboteer in Portsmouth over the weekend. I made it to all 6 featherweight fights, and Loki was still running at the end so am pleased with that. The MDF stood up to the other robots more than I thought it would.

First fight: flipped over and then flipped out by Heatwave (I think!?)

Second: Lasted longer than last time but managed to drive in under the arena flipper running away from Explosion.

Third fight: Thrown across the arena by Explosion and it died. Got it back to the bench and opened it up and turned out my batteries were missing! Them falling out also pulled one of the wires off of the link so had to solder it back on frantically.

Fourth fight: Didn't replace the back panel and after entering the arena and doing a spin the wire came of of the link again and it died. Then Explosion got a couple flips on me and ripped me apart. Very frantically put it back together, soldered the link better and ran out to Homebase to get some new cable ties to keep the battery in place

Fifth fight: The best of the event, had a few pushes with Small Cheese and Full English but was then flipped over by someone, then pushed onto the arena flipper and then finally pitted but was still running at the end of it.

Sixth battle: Drove in okay but then died pretty much straight away. Turned out the link 'socket' melted a bit when we were soldering and the link wouldn't fit in completely and it fell out after a collision. Once the link was put in it worked fine so happy with things

Met some nice people and had a great experience. Next stage will be to finish my dissertation (!) and then make the weapon out of MDF to see how it will fit in etc so looking forward to that.

Here's before Portsmouth:

And after...

Well it's been a long time since I've updated this but I have now finished uni so have a lot more time but little money so progress has been slow. My dad has kindly donated some timber so have been able to upgrade and modify the original chassis to incorporate the 4 bar lifter and mount all the gubbins in properly.

Still need to save up for the ally box section for the main arm and the other 2 bars but so far so good! The arms are made of 1" x 1/4" ally flat bar and attached by M8 bolts.

Here's how it currently looks:

Very happy with it so far, unfortunately can't make it to Guildford but it won't be ready in time anyway.

As always I welcome people's feedback and suggestions
    Last edited by ChrisKazoo; 13th June 2013 at 00:28.

Register To Comment