Register To Comment
Page 6 of 48 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Skipdiving Robotics

Quote Originally Posted by daveimi View Post
    Don't have a great name for it yet (answers on a post card lol)
    To post the postcard, I'd need a stamp. Why not put a picture of the Queen's head on the top panel and call it Giant Postage Stamp (GPS for short ). The proportions seem about right for it.

And looks like it drives quite nicely too. With wheels that close together, the robot can have a tendency to veer off when trying to drive in a straight line, but it looks pretty controllable in that video.

Squared
    or a small 2 on the top right corner of the robot

Thought I would bring this up to date. I've built the running gear onto a plate that can be moved as a "module" from shell to shell. This obviously works for me as I have little fabrication skills other than keeping battered cars on the road and building street luges for my 4 year old. Therefore, I'm largely aware that my robot is like a hermit crab, constantly looking for the next shell in which to stow it's behind. To this end, we (I say we, I mean me, my crazed father and a 4 yr old) decided the best thing to do would be to screw everything to a bit of plastic. Then, which ever shell presents itself we can bolt said plastic into and away we go. All this method requires is steady supply of scrap and rubbish (of which there is plenty in Blackpool).

So please see below picture of our new "module". This can be bolted into any given shell and will quite happily run round the house on its own. The wooden shell pictured above broke up after a weekend of fighting a Tamiya Fighter Buggy. I don't have a picture as of yet of the new metal shell, however it's based on a money tin 30x30cm and about 2 inches deep. The below module bolts in nicely provided you cut a pair of wheel slots and bolt holes. This week I will finish it's new body off and slap up a picture. I'm trying to enquire as to how I get us to the Doncaster Dome event in September?? which would appear to be a non spinner event.

All comments and slagging off's welcome / encouraged

Dave, Skipdiving Robotics.

Last edited by daveimi; 4th August 2013 at 21:40.

Register To Comment