Register To Comment
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Team Shakey - Axebot

Some more work!

Now comes with Hardox scoop (Mainly because the bit of metal was the only one in the garage the right size without cutting it :P ), ineffective spikes (they look better though) and two brackets on the sides. The brackets will hold the front of the side armour which is 10mm polycarb. This isn't a full combat robot and this amount of armour should help make it a nice and robust bot for the big featherweight melees.

It certainly drives better on the TZ85's now I can unlimit it and after I tightened the clutch on one motor (wasn't fully locked).
    Last edited by Shakey; 8th January 2015 at 22:01.

That looks mean! Great work. Is it intended to fight with spinners or go to the featherweight fights at heavy events. It looks like it would survive an assault from a vertical spinner with only minor damage.

The upgrade were intended purely for the feather fights at heavy events (I know the armour is overkill for that but it would be reliable!). I am getting very tempted to throw it at the champs. By the time they roll around I should have a second feather for if bad things were to happen from all those spinners. I may reinforce the scoop a bit more first though with whatever hardox scraps are left. A vertical hit upwards on the scoop would probably rip it off.

I've finished adding the side armour with some brackets in the middle made of hardox and some 10mm polycarbonate bolted on. Weighing in at 13.59kg it's now ready for fighting again. It should be pretty tough in a fight now and seems to be a good controllable fast rammer.

It seems to have a nice mean cold industrial feel to it now.

I am going to apply to the champs, hopefully the bot seems good/robust/reliable enough and with my track record in ants I stand a chance of entry.

That drives really nicely and it looks tough enough for the champs, the polycarbonate sides might not stand up too many spinner hits but other than that it looks great.

I've already cut the spare sides :P They may not stand up too well but it's better than having the wheels hit!

Been a while since I posted an update to the feathers. I've been running Olaf in the live shows for quite a while but it's time to get a feather or two running again.

First up I've ordered some new 550 18v motors to either repair Gimli 1 (retired for burning out too many) and then run it on 5 cell. Or making a fast electric flipper. I've designed some nice 3d printed mounts to hold standard drill motors, I know 3d printing in a feather gets a bad reputation at times but I've been careful and these should be more than strong enough. I've even orientated the prints so the bond between layers isn't under stress.

Would anyone be potentially interested in some of these?

Also the chosen motor for the lifter, a big very powerful motor that when briefly tested in a lifter before had the power (Also broke the lifter it was atattched to!).

Plans for Gimli 2 are being drawn up and can be summed up by saying: DEWALTS!
    2 18v dewalts for drive and 2 to power the axe. My aim will be to make an electric axe robot that has good damage potential. The real method of winning with this bot will be to use the drive to slam and pit opponents the axe is on there for fun. I've worked out how to rebuild the 3 speed gearboxes shorter, however I am going to need to machine a new carrier plate for the final stage. I'll be using a combination of 3d printing and milled ali to then house the gearboxes.

If needed I have recently upgraded my 3D printer to handle polycarbonate and Nylon so can use those for the gearboxes if the ABS isn't tough enough. My plan is ali endcaps with the printing only holding the ring gears in place being compressed between the two.
    Last edited by Shakey; 25th August 2015 at 21:57.

Register To Comment