Register To Comment
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lithium Safety Testing - 8th December

Hi Guy's,

There's been a lot of talk recently about the use and safety of LiPo batteries - particularly now that the FRA are getting closer to making a decision on Lithium batteries in Heavyweights.

Everyone's concerns keep boiling down to What if and What actually happens when a large pack goes up. With this in mind, I have decided that we will be holding a demonstration to show exactly what happens when something goes wrong.
    I am donating a number of my own LiPo's, all large 6s 5000mA ( 24v ) packs for destructive testing at our workshop during the Robo Challenge Open day / FRA HW and FW awards.
    In this, I hope to show what happens when a pack is punctured, what happens when a pack is shorted, and what happens when one pack in a set goes up. Some of these tests will be done on an MDF base to show the effects of a lipo on an arena floor.

I hope that this will help speed up the process and questions regarding lithium safety at events.

I have an expert on hand who will be helping with my presentation on Lithium batteries - Andy Hinton-Lever from OptiPower. He will also be bringing his discharge test rig to show the differences between good and bad lipo cell's, and what to look out for plus much more.

Hope these will be put on u tube as I can't get there.
    Split a 5000 11.1v in my vorza a few weekends ago didn't know about it until I took of the body to unplug the batteries, liquid was dribbling out and I could see all the inside stuff, no explosions or anything happened though.

We will get video of the destructive testing as it's something that the FRA will need to look back on to come to their decision on Lipo's in heavies. As you say, lipo's have a bad reputation but are not actually that easy to set fire to! I have found a few ways though

@Ed

Have you got a video of the one going up in the Robogames arena?

There are loads of videos of lipos going up in smoke/flames in robots (particularly the smaller weight classes) at American events. I was going to post links but generic searching on Youtube of 'lipo fire robot battle' etc doesn't really show up much.

Couple hundred quid for a decent fan and flexible ducting to run it outside should be able to clear an arena space in a few min

Or for those who might doubt the amount of smoke...

Register To Comment