Register To Comment
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lithium Safety Testing - 8th December

Quote Originally Posted by teamstorm

But I think we'll soon get agreement there isn't a safety issue in play
    4min 50sec into the fight :shock:
    Sorry was it only me who saw the flames?

http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...a=1&TC=SRC-fan

Something like that with ducting similar to that flexible tunnel stuff you played with as a kid would clear that space in no time

Quote Originally Posted by craig_colliass
    Quote Originally Posted by teamstorm

But I think we'll soon get agreement there isn't a safety issue in play
    4min 50sec into the fight :shock:
    Sorry was it only me who saw the flames?
    And what is the problem with fire?

Fire are a concern anywhere, i'm more worried about fire in the pits than in the arena though, smoke is an issue when in the arena. The fan you pointed out Gary, doesn't take ducting, if you look they do the smaller ones that do, for that we're looking £500 for a setup and it would take about 8minutes to empty our arena.

The issues aren't as much with the batteries themselves, but more the users attitude towards them. This is for me the big issue to get around.

Quote Originally Posted by blazerbotics
    Fire are a concern anywhere,
    A starting fire is something you have to deal with.
    In case of a LiPo fire in the arena, keep the burning machine in a cloud of CO2, to avoid ignition of more stuff. Using anything else would case damage to everything, delaying the show a lot.
    And except some exotic foams or powders, quelshing a Lithium fire is next to hopeless. On the other hand, the amounts of lithium, even for heavies, are not that impressive.

I'm more worried about fire in the pits than in the arena though, smoke is an issue when in the arena.
    The smoke is a problem everywere.

The fan you pointed out Gary, doesn't take ducting, if you look they do the smaller ones that do, for that we're looking £500 for a setup and it would take about 8minutes to empty our arena.
    Well spend £500 then.

The issues aren't as much with the batteries themselves, but more the users attitude towards them. This is for me the big issue to get around.
    That was an issue with any kind of battery. Even seen an exploded lead-acid? I did. Not funny.
    I still see the burning NiCd pack at Maidstone a lot of years back.. Who was running around with it, the battery dangeling on a half molten wire? To dunk it in a bucket of water.

Oh well, more rules please.

Is the risk of fire not greatly increased by doing what they did in that video - continuing to fight? Running a badly damaged battery for that long after the smoke starts seems crazy. At an event here, at the first sign of smoke make it a thing that everyone stops dead and it is dealt with immediately. I don't know how LiPos ignite but in a situation like the one in the video, perhaps the fire could have been avoided.

Unless already planned, maybe that's a test to do, Grant and co., running a LiPo after it has been damaged and what happens when you do?

I would agree with ellis there, would be interesting to see what can happen if a damaged lipo is kept running incase with all the co2 exausts etc it wasnt noticed till too late

I await the results of the tests and the subsequent ruling with much interest

Register To Comment