Register To Comment
Page 34 of 41 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

Hi Dave
    I always say "If you always do what you have always done, you will always get what you always got." I'm doing this to see what effect it is going to have on the pushing power of the robot it isn't the final design but a test this information will help the next design step.
    you build what you want to and see how it works. if we don't try new things we will be stuck with what we have, for me the whole point is to try something new. It's an inventors sport after all.
    People will give advise and this is good, but the decision to try something is yours.
    I have a robot kettle,
    an 8 legged robot walker,
    a HW robot that does hand stands,
    and one that swings a 4 foot sword,
    I win next to nothing but have loads of fun
    Remember failure isn't a sin, but sometimes not trying is!

IMG_2026.jpg
    IMG_2027.jpg
    IMG_2028.jpg
    Some pictures of the new project a pneumatic walker, this is going to take a long time to finish but you have to start somewhere.

The configuration is ATM 8 legs, 2 degrees of movement, 16 actuators and at least 2 on board compressors.

The pictures are of the function mock-up with mechanical valve control, and the next 2 are work in progress to make the leg patterns to get the shape and distance right before cutting 8 of them out of 20mm HDPE, at least that's the plan to start with.

A giant 110kg + pneumatic Octapod... this will be so cool when its complete!
    Or is this not for combat?

The target weight is 27.2Kg but I think this may be a bit difficult/impossible to achieve.

One of the reasons for doing this is to prove the impossibility of the 2 degrees of freedom rule we have in combat robotics. (and as a result no walkers!)

If I can I might use it in Featherweight fights, but the main thing is as a design and build exercise. the design is still fluid as to how it will look and even how it will steer.

But first things first lets get the leg mechanism working!

I think the 2 DoF rule s there to prevent shuffle bots, which it should be IMO. But yes its a shame there are no walkers. I have a few ideas but no money to test them out sadly.

If you can get it working properly though it will be amazing!

yes I have in the past argued about what is and is not a shuffle bot.

under the present rule Pilgrim is a shuffle bot!

Yep, same goes for the giant Attacknids, they don't count as walkers despite their complexity. As you know though, Pilgrim, the Attacknids and shufflers are fundamentally cam based, its just what comes after the cam that is different. While I would look at Pilgrim and the Attacknids and call them walkers, when it comes to the rules we can't have exploitable rules that would allow shufflebots to gain a massive advantage. Yep, its complicated...

Oeps.

Pilgrim is a Strandbeest. A cam based shuffler.

In antweights, almost anything without wheels passes as a walker and gets 50% weight allowance, and yet still almost no one makes them; I won the 'best walker' award at a previous AWS because I entered the only walker! So even if the rules did count cam based shuffle bots as walkers and gave a big weight allowance, I don't think there would be a sudden explosion of them.

we can't have exploitable rules that would allow shufflebots to gain a massive advantage
    I don't see why not? If you're putting the effort in to building a walking mech, you're accepting a hit on mobility to gain extra weight. Even a simple shuffle mech is difficult to do well and and light weight enough to give you weight spare for weaponry. Even if other weight classes went with the extreme of ant rules with 50% extra for a basic shuffle bot, I think we'd see one or two shufflers which would be a good thing, but I doubt any of them would be winning an event any time soon..
    Last edited by Rapidrory; 6th May 2016 at 09:37.

Register To Comment