Register To Comment
Page 29 of 41 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Team Saint Robot Builds

I have been busy sorting out the Omni Wheel robot platform for BB8 Project, as you can see the thing seems to be going OK.

it is great fun to drive even with the awful DX5e I have at the moment. enjoy the video.

That looks cool... Way cool.

Some pictures of the parts used in the omni wheel test chassis, just in case anyone wants to make one. I have had a lot of fun driving this mad bit of kit I would recommend it. setting up the mixer was not difficult either.

IMG_1098[1].jpg IMG_1099[1].jpg IMG_1100[1].jpgIMG_1102[1].jpg IMG_1103[1].jpg IMG_1097[2].jpg

I have chosen this as the main ball 500mm Polyethylene it weighs in at only 2Kg and is round! It has an access hole as it was a garden light fitting. The other picture is my attempt at making a mould for the manufacture of the access cover.

IMG_1116[1].jpg

IMG_1117[1].jpg

If I don't use the wheels for BB8 and use something else what to do with the old chassis.

I could see if I could bring new life to this tired rotten old apple.

IMG_1192.jpg IMG_1193.jpg IMG_1194.jpg

Hi yes I've been following his exploits from the very beginning video on utube with regards to this. he said in the second video it's not how the Disney one works!
    He is using an inverted pendulum method I like it, but it isn't how the one used in the film works this is commonly agreed that it uses the "hamster ball" method with omni wheels unfortunately no information about the robot will be released before the film in about 6 months time. So everything is guess work but all the r2 builders agree on this point.
    this was discussed on this thread in May I think, interesting project though.

I seem to be collecting the 500mm globes now

IMG_1207.jpg

These are the wheels for the MK2 version of the hamster robot, the wheels are 100mm diameter this is quite large but I wanted the load capacity for the ballast weight up to 10Kg!

IMG_1208.jpg

I cant see a thread to post about the Guildford event that happened over the weekend, so I'm posting here.

As always a big thanks to John and ALL the team at Robot Wars. the shows seemed to go very well and the audience seemed to enjoy the shows yet again. Had some great fights and looking forward to seeing the videos soon. Great to see some old friends, and so good Zack could join me for this event. there was a good selection of robots for the shows and finding places in fights was quite hard. only one fight per heavy per show. There were a lot of robots there!
    Looking forward to Barnsley.

Robots taken were Saint and Gabriel also Seraph and E-Knock, with Kettle and Mc Apple.
    Saint worked well and even stayed in the arena well almost (see video when it's out)
    Seraph had some intermittent fault that I just could not be bothered to sort out!
    E Knock worked well until one gearbox seized possibly blowing a speed controller. More on that one as news breaks!
    Kettle bot worked better than it has for ages possibly better than ever, this due to a change in the transmitter used from the spec 5e to the spec 6I.
    Mc Apple was good fun and people liked it, not sure whether to keep it or scrap it will decide later.

But for us the star performer had to be Gabriel it is now going like I wanted it too. I would be interested to know how the arena floor held up to the sledge hammer!
    with the new speed controllers and motors it has all the power I need. I have a feeling the gearboxes may need some modification latter down the road as the load on them must be horrific. the torque limiters built into the wheels seemed to work as we didn't notice any slipping when driving but the aluminium washers were polished so something moved when it had to.

Register To Comment