Register To Comment
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Rigid Robotics Build Diary - Flat Damon

That looks awesome. I can't turn the sound up on my work comp but I'll have a proper listen when I get home. Have you started thinking about an event to attend yet?

Was hoping I could show her off at my kids Christmas fairs in a few weeks, but not looking hopeful I can finish the weapon in time and there's the H&S aspect to work out.

Looking at Robot Wars LIVE at Manchester in April as my first official event, but wouldn't mind a few practise/test battles see how she holds up before hand. Make improvements where I need to, before it gets battered and bruised.

Also just looking at your website blog, you've got the same ESC,s but the duel means it can power two motors on the same side (left or right) they will turn the same way (4WD). so to turn left and right you will still need two of them... Sorry!

Yep, figured that out now! I was a bit confused when I saw just the one channel input, and then when you confirmed you were 4wd the penny dropped.

It's ok, I'll save it for another project and I have two of the Botbitz escs that loads of people use on the way.

Small update. Flat Damon is still very much with us but he has had a bit of a hangover since Christmas so not a lot has been done.

I am still struggling on Speed controllers, about to shell out on my third set with nothing to show for it, but I do have all the other parts I need so I can get on with the final assembly. Chassis and armour are ~8kg without electronics, so it's going to be pretty solid.

I just need to find time in the day so I can drill lots of holes without upsetting the neighbours - hopefully this weekend.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 10th January 2017 at 12:22.

Right. This weekend I decided to burn holes in the kitchen table, my hands and the carpet while swearing a lot. In between trips to the tub of Savlon I managed to solder XT60 connectors to everything and get the motors running with the radio gear.

Tank Steering is working, but for some reason the motors won't go in reverse yet. I haven't fully charged my lipos yet so I only had each motor running separately for a short while - I think once both are plugged in the signal mixer will figure it out.

So technically I just need to screw everything together, add a removable link and think about graphics - loads of time before the Manchester event.
    Last edited by lowndsy; 13th February 2017 at 17:01.

Have you got the esc's in the right mode. I had the same problem with no reverse. Can't find the instructions but it's the last one you need. "crawler" I think. Soldering these xt60 are a right pain. There good and stay connected to each other, but my soldering isn't the best and the wires keep falling out. Will have to try another type with my next build.

Well at least I know it can work! It seemed happier as I plugged more into it so we'll see what happens when it's all running in one go.

My soldering is a bit rusty too, haven't done it since school but it got there in the end. you can definitely tell which one I did first and which one I did last. top tip, don't pick your nose when you have a solering iron in your hand.
    The connectors on the back of the motors need doing again so I'm going to fit some spade clips to the wire and then solder them in place.

Silly question, how did you mount the wheels to the drill motor? I just ordered some new wheels with 10mm hubs so I'll probably need to drill it out?

Ideally you need a nut with a 3/8 UNF thread to fit on the drill. Most people seem to heat up the nut and press it into their wheel with a drill press, though I've seen other methods, such as making an aluminium peg and ramming the wheel on, then screwing that onto the motor. Just make sure you get them as straight as possible. Ellis Ware (Ranglebox, Pulsar, etc) has a video on the melty-melty method, though he's using nylon wheels (I think). I'm not sure what you're using.

You didn't use.the iron itself to pick your noise did you?!?!?! I've burnt myself with an iron too, I borrowed one from my step-dad and it didn't work. Months later plugged it in not expecting it to work again and stupidly picked up the coil stand that was rather hot. "Insert swear words"
    As for wheels, I will admit I just copied Ellis for my first build. The nuts not straight but it works and I'm happy with the result.

Register To Comment