Register To Comment
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Battery Wiring: Getting 10S and 5S off 2 5S Lipos

What are peoples thoughts on how safe this is...

Conker 3 Wiring Test.pdf

I want to keep the 10S for the weapon but I don't have the weight for 2 separate batteries so is it possible to wire 1 battery to each motor and then wire both batteries to the weapon so I get 2 5S lines and one 10S line?
    I may need to up spec the batteries to do it anc cope with the current draw but is it safe or even possible?

I don't think it is safe, one battery could be drained more than the other which I don't think is safe if you try to wire them in parallel.
    I think it would probably be alright with Nicds buy with lithium I wouldn't risk it.
    But I am no expert am could easily be wrong!

Roboteer

Your diagram has both packs in parallel. Everything running from 5S. This is the safest solution.

You can run split voltages as wired in the below diagram but things are likely to go wrong. Splitting the supply in this manner is not recommend (and parts may go pop).

diagram.png

The way to achieve what you want is to run both motor controllers from one pack and use the second pack to boost the supply for the weapon controller. This can work, but you do need to be careful with your wiring.

diagram2.png

Complicating the electrics may lead to more problems than it is worth.
    Kane Aston
    http://www.makerobotics.com

Co-owner and builder of BEHEMOTH

Get a small separate battery pack for the drive. You will unbalance the packs by trying to tap voltages at different points which will in all likely hood lead to a fire.

At the champs I ran the drum on 10s from 2x 5s packs and then had a separate 6s pack (around the 1200Mah mark) for the drive.

Oh and you will need two removable links but thats not too difficult to wire up. Made the wiring in boner a lot simpler as well having two packs
    Last edited by typhoon_driver; 5th May 2013 at 12:48.

I will stick with the 4Ah 6S.

Conkers 1 & 2 hand two sets of batteries and as a result 2 links and annoying wiring systems.

Earlier iterations of the C3 had 2x 5S for the weapon, 2650mAh and then one 2650mAh 6S for the drive but it was just to much weight.

After seeing the potency of 720 on 6S I will just go with that as it is more than dangerous enough. The weapon weighs 3kg and will spin at 8880 RPM so its not exactly slow.

The other advantage to a higher voltage that you haven't considered (and neither did I until I saw the data recording on boner) was just how much lower current your system will pull on a higher voltage to get the same power output.

On 5s previously, the drum would peak at the 100A plus mark. On the 10s that I ran at the champs, the highest current draw that the drum motor asked was 9.5A. Now granted I had a different motor in there with more torque but I bet that even running the old motor I wouldnt have had a current pull that high. The plus point with the lower current is that it puts less strain on the brushless esc, wiring and batteries.

From this point on I'll be running at as high a voltage as I'm allowed to and gear the disc or drum appropriately.

Could a voltage converter be used?

Don't own a spinner, theoretical question.

You wouldn't find one that could provide enough current

Quote Originally Posted by typhoon_driver View Post
    You wouldn't find one that could provide enough current
    Its a good point... I will think on it

720 ran 5s- sure it pulls the lipo pretty hard on a spinup in anger- but thats what there designed for! and the cruising current was well within its capability.

As for reliability.... it's one of the most reliable spinners in the uk, everything stays relatively cool, and the most i drew from the 5000mah pack was 3000mah ish after 3 min.

Register To Comment